Question about the factory hitch reciever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWA33

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought the newest style (shorter) hitch receiver for my LR4. When I seat it up into the receptacle in the bumper, the release pin at the top compresses and the larger locking pin at the back extends, but it looks like it's only coming out about 1/4" and just catching on the hole in the bumper that it goes into. I then can't remove the orange key from the green locking handle no matter what I do.

However, if I manually push in the release pin, the locking pin comes out closer to2" and then I can rotate the green handle clockwise until it's vertical, meaning that the "1 -> 2 rotate" graphic that's on the green handle is no longer visible as it is facing the front of the vehicle. I can then rotate the orange key counter-cliockwise much further than when it's in the vehicle and remove it.

When I put the receiver into the receptacle in the bumper, how far out should the locking pin extend? How far forward should I be able to rotate the green handle? I'm thinking that i'm not getting it up into the receptacle high enough and the locking pin is just catching - which would NOT be good when I actually put a trailer on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JWA33

Reaction score
Has anyone used the factory hitch receiver? I need to sort this out by Friday when I'm planning to tow a car.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really couldn't tell how far the pin goes in when I insert the receiver. But when I put it in, the green *** pops back clockwise pretty far and then the orange key easily turns counter clockwise and comes out.

this is the final position for the green knob. (i assume you are talking about the same receiver that I have, the 2013+ish version.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20170418102639_zpsuirhkfts.jpg

JWA33

Reaction score
Thanks - that is exactly what I needed to see. I don't think my green knob is rotating that far forward.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
@JWA33 -- Appears you and I are working on the same to-do list on the LR. I purchased a hitch off ebay and have the opposite issue of you. I cant get the larger locking pin retracted sufficiently to get the hitch into the vehicle portion of the mechanism.

I have pulled out the handle (see red below the green) when turned retracts the pin but not all the way.

Tips? Hints? I am certain I am again missing some painfullly obvious resolution.

Cheers!

JWA33

Reaction score
No matter what I do I can't get mine to rotate any more than to where the green handle is horizontal when I put it pin looks to be extended about half way into the hole before it stops.

On mine, the only way that I can get the pin to go out is if I manually push in the release pin. Is yours extended without pushing in the release pin? When I do get it to extend it takes a bit of effort to turn it back counter-clockwise to retract it. I find that laying it on it's side seems to work best.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is very finicky. It definitely will click into position where I can turn key and remove but sometimes I have to jiggle it. Also sometimes I can't remove it, the green handle won't pull and turn with out being wiggled around. I know this sounds horrible when planning on towing boat/trailer. However once in place it is surprisingly sturdy.

I took mine apart and just added extra grease to the mechanism inside and that helped a lot. But once in a while it still gets stuck. Maybe try to grease it

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the factory hitch receiver? I need to sort this out by Friday when I'm planning to tow a car.

Just measured our hitch. Triggering release pin allows bolt to shoot out 7/8 inch. It will not extend so far when plugged into the receiver on the LR but you should feel it protruding through the "window" in the casting. The green knob must be rotated about 120 degrees ccwise to fully retract the bolt and lock it back. FFIW I put a dab of grease in that "window" each time I install the hitch but still have to knock it back and forth with a rubber hammer to get it to fall out when removing.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@JWA33 -- Appears you and I are working on the same to-do list on the LR. I purchased a hitch off ebay and have the opposite issue of you. I cant get the larger locking pin retracted sufficiently to get the hitch into the vehicle portion of the mechanism.

I have pulled out the handle (see red below the green) when turned retracts the pin but not all the way.

Tips? Hints? I am certain I am again missing some painfullly obvious resolution.

Cheers!

Not easy, but you must have the key fully clockwise while rotating the green knob counterclockwise.

JWA33

Reaction score
Just measured our hitch. Triggering release pin allows bolt to shoot out 7/8 inch. It will not extend so far when plugged into the receiver on the LR but you should feel it protruding through the "window" in the casting. The green knob must be rotated about 120 degrees ccwise to fully retract the bolt and lock it back. FFIW I put a dab of grease in that "window" each time I install the hitch but still have to knock it back and forth with a rubber hammer to get it to fall out when removing.

I'll measure mine, I'm pretty sure it was extending out much further than that when manually pushing the release pin. I'd guess over an inch by memory. I know that there's a detent ball that just becomes exposed on the bottom side of the locking pin.

When you say "you should feel it protruding through the "window" in the casting", do you mean that it goes into the window, or completely through the window, extending past the opening towards the front of the car? Mine goes about half way into the passage, but that's where it stops. I've tried lubing everything, inserting it and pulling it out a number of times to wear the edges in a bit, pounding it upwards into the socket with a dead blow hammer, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72