Questions about buying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iznof

Reaction score
Hello,
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the disco 1 and disco 2? I have been looking for about three days now and have not found anything. The dealer cars are sketchy and most of the private party vehicles need a bit more work.

Also, how common is it for these vehicles to rust? I looked at a 99 disco 2 yesterday with a lot of rust under it. This does not seem normal to me, my 64 ghia was in better shape than most of these cars and without rust. This will be my first land rover so I guess that I'm starting to wonder about the quality/service/reliability of these cars if this is what I see on the market.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D1 (US): 1994 - early 1999. Shorter (less tail-end overhang), tail lights are lower, black airdam and lights, CDL, no corner enhancement or hill descent control. 16" wheels stock. 1994 and 1995 have distributor and rotors and 3.9L V8. 1996-1999 have GEMS and 4.0L V8. All are coil-sprung.

D2: 1999-2004. Higher tail lights, body color airdam and foglights, maybe no CDL, computer-controlled handling enhancements. 18" wheels stock. 4.0L V8. Computerized climate control. Some have airbag suspensions.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Jon,

I have lirttle to no rust on my Rover, granted it was a california car all its life before I before I brought it to Oregon. I have never seen a USED rover that has not needed something to be fixed, when I got mine it needed several things done and now it needs a few more.

The trucks will run a long time and will rarely strand you, but will leave you with lots of headaches. They make up for these headaches with style, ride quality, off road capability and toughness.

While small things do happen to the rover quite often they are very dependable.

Common issues with rovers are:

Leaky Power Steering Hoses
All the deals seap a little
The ZF Auto will clunk when going from R to D but will shift firm there after
Sunroofs will stop working
Eninge Tick
Coolant Resivor Cracking
Rust under the rear carpet

I thinki thats it, you have to figure out how much your willing to spend and how much your willing to fix. When I initially got mine all it needed was the alternator and idler pulley. Since then small problems have popped up over time such as leaky hoses and that nice little tick.

Hope this helps.

Justin

iznof

Reaction score
Justin,
I'm not bashing you on your car, so please don't take offense. Yours only needs 1 or 2 things compared to the "others." The rust that I was talking about was on a 99 disco 2 at the nissan lot, it was pretty bad-Actually into the metal and eating things away.

Also, whats the deal with the freelander? What is it?

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.tonkin.com/index.cfm?fus...ccfcb-0760-5f7c-8aa9-1c6ca327d645&StartRow=2&

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Jon,

None taken.

The freelander is a much much smaller version of a disco with a v6 and independent suspension front and rear. Its a cute car but waaaaaay too small for me, I barely fit in the damned thing.

I think you should buy private party, dealers tend to mark up the rovers very high. There are several D1s in the paper with around 70k miles for much less.

I like the D1s better because they are shorter and simpler to work on. None of that air supension or hill decent crap to worry about. Also, because they all have the CDL where as a lot of rovers don't.

The interior is almost identical anyway as is the outside. If you like the fenders you can put those on a D1 as with the earlier D2 lights and then it "looks" like a d2.

Give me a call regardless if you want to purchase my rover or not, I'll answer anything I can for you.

Justin

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Jon, to the wonderful world of Rovers, Andy and Justin are right on descriptions and such, there are so many things to look @ w/each Rover. I prefer the D1 for several reasons, that I'll not go into, but just check well the ones you like and start bidding/buying from there. The people in this forum are always glad to help, have answers to every question, are very kind & always cordial! Choose Your Rover & Enjoy! Look forward to hearing more. Thank You! LRW.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to test drive a Freelander 2 weeks ago @ my favorite used car lot, but it had a dead battery? and wouldn't start. Oh well, it was real cute, but I don't think it could ever do the job of the Discovery. I heard they are peppy to drive & just wanted to see for myself. Maybe next time. LRW.

iznof

Reaction score
JJMyerz said:
Yup,

Remember I'll move on my price like we talked about :biggrin:

I thought that you were going to keep it after looking at toyotas? After looking into toyota im buying for sure... Im going to go look at a 99 today so I'll let you guys know what I find....I hope this is the one. I wish that there was some sort of rover check list for buying.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM