Rain Sensor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I was told It could not be done ... Simple truth is I do not believe the dealer...that is why Ihad started this thread...
I am not sure whether it could be reprogramed or not yet I am sure there is something we can do.. well we just have to figure it out

victorhess

Reaction score
I've been reading here about the wipers going too often in the rain sensor setting, but has anyone had an issue with the wipers not wiping enough with the sensor setting? Last night mine stopped wiping on my '06. If I switched to slow speed and the back to rain sensor, it worked for about 15 seconds again and the stopped. Do rain sensors go bad?

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading here about the wipers going too often in the rain sensor setting, but has anyone had an issue with the wipers not wiping enough with the sensor setting? Last night mine stopped wiping on my '06. If I switched to slow speed and the back to rain sensor, it worked for about 15 seconds again and the stopped. Do rain sensors go bad?

I have this issue with my 07 V8 HSE. Very annoying...

TNRover

Reaction score
I have this issue with my 07 V8 HSE. Very annoying...

I have the exact same issue on my 06 LR3. Works perfectly sometimes then just stops. Very annoying and random. I probably just need to replace the sensor. It's really easy I believe.

superstator

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue on my 06 LR3. Works perfectly sometimes then just stops. Very annoying and random. I probably just need to replace the sensor. It's really easy I believe.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I had to post this as it had been driving me nuts for ages.

Had the same issue with my RRS. Sometimes it worked OK, but as often as not it would either refuse to wipe, or wipe continuously even under very light rain. Sensitivity settings seemed to be "Never ever wipe"->"Never wipe"->"Wipe if there is a cataclysmic flood"->"Always wipe, sometimes frantically"

The dealer actually replaced the sensor under warranty which improved things, but only slightly.

After poking around in an online service manual, I found this nugget under Diagnostics for the wiper system: If a rain sensor fault prevents the sensor from operating, the BCU will control wiper operation as if a
rain sensor is not installed in the system.

So, I just unhooked the damn thing. Sure enough, it reverts to regular old foolproof intermittent mode, no reprogramming required. Controls will work exactly like you expect, with the "sensitivity" adjustment now controlling delay. It's a 30-second tool-free job; snap the plastic cover off behind the mirror, pull the connector out of the sensor module, and put the cover back on. Service manual was for an L322, but I can personally confirm it works in an L320 RRS, and I'd be shocked if it didn't work in an LR3/4.

The light sensor for the headlights is in the same module, so you do lose that feature as well. The headlights will revert to always-on when in the automatic position - the truck basically just thinks it's always dark out. I was fine with that compromise, YMMV.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. My auto wipers on my LR3 are "ok", but in the end I would definately prefer to control the wiper delay manually. I find myself leaving them off in misty conditions and just pushing down for a wipe whenever I feel it is needed.

It is ironic you posted this as just yesterday I noticed my lights were on during the day, and so I was wondering where the sensor was and if something was blocking it. Now I know I have the option to just let them on all the time - great little tip superstator!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72