Rare problem starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heypilch

Reaction score
Here it is:

I've got a '94 Disco V8. Very rarely, it won't start. It'll turn over (and over and over...), but not start. I'll open the hood & futz with the coil (which looks old & tired), but not really do much of anything - and then try to start it. It's only happened a couple of times, but I don't trust it in the backcountry. None of the wires look loose or cut.

It gets plenty of juice to the starter, but it won't start. It's got 100k on the clock, by the way.

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Provide some info on the last tune up type of plugs, wires, distributor cap you use... rotor button. All this info will help.

heypilch

Reaction score
I just bought it a few days ago, so I haven't personally done anything to it yet. I was thinking about a new coil.

I've been driving it around exclusively since I bought it, getting a fee for it & trying to get it to die on me - but it hasn't happened yet. The guy I bought it from showed me "the wire" that he said was the culprit, but he didn't really have any idea so I'm not going by that.

Testing his theory, I even tried to **** it by playing with that wire. Nothing.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's an electrical problem. Just for a once over, I was thinking about taking into a LR dealer. I know that they'll probably find a ton of stuff that it "needs", but maybe just this once.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Taking it to the dealer for a once over will cost you around $300.

Could also be a ground issue in the ECU. If it has ever been off roaded, and water has gotten to the ECU, you may need to take it apart and clean it.

heypilch

Reaction score
Thanks Joey. Is there a specific procedure to removing the ECU? Disconneting the battery would be the first thing, I'd guess...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Disconnect battery, then unplug the ECU (I am pretty sure on yours it will be the passenger side engine bay behind the fuse box.

Check all the plugs and open carefully, and check for corrosion on the inside clean with iso alcohol.

heypilch

Reaction score
Well, I haven't had a single issue with it since I replaced the coil. It starts better & seems to be happier overall with the new part in there.

samrover

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 99' D2.
What is the Coil andhow much for the new coil ?
THanks in advance for any help heypilch,

-Sam

hunden

Reaction score
There was a problem with 94 and 95 Coil wires, put new connectors on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge