Rear Axle Hub Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wdalyinnh

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the o-rings in the rear axle hubs, how the heck does one get the hub flange out of the end of the axle? Is it necessary to take the stake nut off the end of the axle? I was hoping that removing the 4 bolts on the inside would let the whole thing come out, isn't the axle only retained axially only by the outboard end? I can't seem to get the thing to budge.

Bill

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
D1 or D2? They are completely different... and have you downloaded the RAVE Manual?

wdalyinnh

Reaction score
Turns out you just have to bash it free of the axle tube, the rust on the hub flange keeps it practially welded to the ID of the flare in the tube. Yes D2 /=/ D1, very different - sealed matched bearing set, hellacious torque on shaft (which you needen't touch to do a seal) and then the nut is swaged into a keyway slot. left the bolts backed out but fully engaged in the flange and whacked them with a 10 lb hammer for about 10 minutes. Turns out RAVE doesn't tell you how to change a seal or remove a bearing set or much about the outboard ends of the axle - guess they figure it's too simple. They do have a nice set of diagrams though.

thanks, Bill

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, it has been a while since I had to change it... and without tearing into one again I figured it was best to ask...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink