Rear Brakes- Aftermarket shop or Dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, its time for rear brakes, i checked with the dealership and they want 276 for a full set of rear pads(minus rotors of course) including the wear sensor. To buy the pads from them its 165. Now online at places such as Autozone and Roverparts they want anywhere from 65 to 100 bucks for a set of rear pads. The local shop here by my house (not a rover specific shop, just a good place for brakes and tires) wants 65 bucks to put pads on, too easy. Way cheaper than the dealer.

The question comes in when i wonder why the Stealership is so much more? Am i missing something or is this approximate prices? Anyone use aftermarket, non-OEM pads on their Rover? Is it as basic as any vehicle when it comes to the brakes? The only reason i ask is the dealership is about 75 miles from home and with my work schedule it can be sometimes difficult to get up there and i dont want to wait too long before i need rotors too and then im in a whole mess of cash spending good times. Any insight or help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stick to using only OEM pads. Many will recommend the Akebono pads. That's fine, but be sure to upgrade to new rotors at the same time. The Dealer will not turn your rotors, nor is it recommended due to the relative "thinness" of these. The brakes are a pretty simple process if you have any sort of DIY experience. I would shop around for OEM pads and do it yourself if you can. The sensors are cheap as well. Not all brake shops are created equal. Don't be swayed by price alone. Stopping 6000lbs is pretty important.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oder a set of Akebono pads from Amazon.com and do the job your self, they are dust free, last longer, don't squeak and stop better them any OEM pads. If you have any questions, send me your number and I'll call you.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I did what you guys suggested and bought the pads. It was just like any other car ive done! appreciate the fast replies and good info!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo