Rear Bumper Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteezTight

Reaction score
Over the past several months I have been thinking about building a new rear bumper because with a 3" lift my 33's are still rubbing in the rear while articulating. I have looked over the many options but decided that for the price and to get exactly what I want building my own would be the best choice. After removing the stock bumper and reviewing the plans of what would need to be cut off it seems that it might not be the best idea because of the structural integrity of the frame would possible be compromised. I would say that apporx. three inches would need to be cut off the rear crossmember of the frame. I was wondering how much of a problem this would cause? and if welding a piece of quarter inch thick steel across it on the new edge it would keep its strength intact. Any input would be appreciated since I really want to do this right and I'm not sure if cutting that much off the frame would be the right choice. Pictures of the bumper can be found on Discoweb.org under Perry Miller, unfortunatley I could not post a link.

Thanks, Mike.

floridarover

Reaction score
Before going through all of that I would look at the rear bumper designed by Rovertym. It is very thin and virtually indestructable. I enjoy doing projects myself as much as anyone but I know when I don't have the gray matter to do it right. The guy at Rovertym is a retired engineer from what I understand all his stuff is top notch.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you rubbing the frame with 33" tires, you have other issues... I know a guy in Lebanon running 37" without any issues... Okay maybe his is for Off road use only, but still.

SteezTight

Reaction score
It's only rubs when I'm doing some pretty serious articulation, it has plenty of clearance for just plain mudding and daily driving. I have looked into the rovertym and arb bumpers but they are really just not what I want. That little panel right behind the rear tires is what I'm rubbing on and trying to get rid of and neither rovertym or arb have a bumper that gives you that extra clearance that I want. What do you think about the reinforcement of the frame idea?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you plan to make it an OFF Road only vehicle, cut and weld away. But for safety reasons, and legal, I would never recommend cutting the frame on a road vehicle....

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure an arb will rub? you have to cut away a bunch of fender to make those work. I am running 32's with a 2 inch and I don't think I would have a problem until I hit 35's. oops, sorry, I just noticed you have a D1. Anyways, those rear bumpers are slim lined so you should gain around 2" or better of tire clearance. Joe

floridarover

Reaction score
Take a look at the rear bumper made by hicountryoffroad.com. They have some video links of the bumber in action taking some awesome abuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo