Rear door won't open!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garnerdog

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Discovery II with 54,000 miles. It has some issues with the central locking and the rear door not opening. climbing in the back, i found the previous owner had pulled back the upholstery panel at the latch. you can pull in out about 2" and push down the latch bar and the door will open. after that it will open from the outside as long as you don't lock it. once locked, it has to be tripped again by hand from inside. The central locking is a sometimes works kinda thing. it will usually lock everything, but not unlock. it will occasionally lock and unlock on all the doors.

climbing in the back to open the door is a hassle, any idea on a fix?

thanks Steven G.

S

superpowerdave

Back door like the rear door or one of the passenger doors? Passenger doors are a pain because you have to remove the door panels to get in there with some graphite. The rear door though (read tailgate) is quite simple. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry off the green Land Rover emblem above the license plate - WD-40 the crap out of it. Once the door opens pull the handle a few times to make sure the catch is working and then WD-40 the actual mechanism as well. Should solve your problem.

As far as the central locking being tempermental ... well I have a 2000 DII and I've just learned to live with it :)

garnerdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, i was speaking of the "tailgate" i will see how the wd-40 works. Like you, i don't mind the tempermental locking to much, but thought it might be connected to the problem at the back. againg thanks steve G.

garnerdog

Reaction score
I ended up using white lithium sprayed in. it is working now! the outside push up part of the latch was not returning totally to original position when released. much better now. I did not know you could remove the logo oval, that was a help. again thanks steven G.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4