Rear End Dropped/ Shocks? Air... confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bird

Reaction score
I've been floating since figuring out all my little troubles with my 99 disco. fixed a front wheel hub about a week ago. also, solved my front sunroof leak problem (alignment) and sunroof motor. it was great UNTIL

I just walked out to move my disco for street cleaning tomorrow, and as soon as i approached the car, noticed that the rear of the car was sitting extremely low, with the tires in the wheel wells.
i have never had a shock problem and the car just came off a lift where i think we'd have seen any problems. also the car was parked and not touched since sunday night, Two days ago and was fine.
could this be a shock leak i am completely lost and now on the verge of driving this thing into the Hudson River, but i really really like it.

Air shocks? What? Does anyone know what this could be? I don't have to move it for a day or two, but it just feels awful to come out and see it look this way.
the front end is sitting up as usual... but now is pointed at the sky and the rear mud flaps are about an inch off the ground, as if there is NO suspension
Where do i begin

It's a 99 disco II with 102 on her. the only work done recently was all brakes and rotors and new passenger front hub assembly.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear End Dropped/ Shocks? Air... confused

I've been floating since figuring out all my little troubles with my 99 disco. fixed a front wheel hub about a week ago. also, solved my front sunroof leak problem (alignment) and sunroof motor. it was great UNTIL

I just walked out to move my disco for street cleaning tomorrow, and as soon as i approached the car, noticed that the rear of the car was sitting extremely low, with the tires in the wheel wells.
i have never had a shock problem and the car just came off a lift where i think we'd have seen any problems. also the car was parked and not touched since sunday night, Two days ago and was fine.
could this be a shock leak i am completely lost and now on the verge of driving this thing into the Hudson River, but i really really like it.

Air shocks? What? Does anyone know what this could be? I don't have to move it for a day or two, but it just feels awful to come out and see it look this way.
the front end is sitting up as usual... but now is pointed at the sky and the rear mud flaps are about an inch off the ground, as if there is NO suspension
Where do i begin

It's a 99 disco II with 102 on her. the only work done recently was all brakes and rotors and new passenger front hub assembly.

Hello , I need to know the year and model, I tried your profile and it wasn’t there either. What I think is happening is there is either a leak or issue somewhere with the SLS system in the rear suspension. SLS stands for : Self Leveling Suspension. Does the vehicle seem to level itself when you drive it or let it idle ? Or does the rear stay low all the time ? More than likely it is probably a leaky hose somewhere.

Let us know……….. Chongo
:bandit:

bird

Reaction score
Chongo

hey chongo
the vehicle is a 99 disco II. i've got 102k on it.
i have firgured that the air springs must have cracked. i should have noticed when the other day, i raised the rear suspension while getting our of the snow in upstate NY and it only stayed up for a quarter mile.
i got a quote on the springs, genuine $350 less for aftermarket and $75 to install.
i don't think i want to convert to springs
as the car was idling the back shot up after a few minutes.
i am afraid that if i don't get it done immediately i will burn the compressor.

also, is this something i can do myself, it it a relatively easy job as far as what tools i will need? looking at the workshop manual it seems pretty simple, and i'd rather do it for $200 a part than more + labor

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey chongo
the vehicle is a 99 disco II. i've got 102k on it.
i have firgured that the air springs must have cracked. i should have noticed when the other day, i raised the rear suspension while getting our of the snow in upstate NY and it only stayed up for a quarter mile.
i got a quote on the springs, genuine $350 less for aftermarket and $75 to install.
i don't think i want to convert to springs
as the car was idling the back shot up after a few minutes.
i am afraid that if i don't get it done immediately i will burn the compressor.

also, is this something i can do myself, it it a relatively easy job as far as what tools i will need? looking at the workshop manual it seems pretty simple, and i'd rather do it for $200 a part than more + labor

It is fairly easy to replace the bags, the connectors are the main thing not to break while disassembling, they are called< “ Voss Connectors “ and the connectors are only available through LR. They are located at the top of the airbag.
If you’d like to switch over to spring suspension, there is a kit available to you visit this site and it explains everything.

http://www.robisonservice.com/articles/RonR_fall2003.asp

good luck ………… Chongo :bandit:

strutmastr

Reaction score
There is defiantly something wrong with your air bag AND compressor. Mechanics typically diagnose it as a bad airbag OR bad compressor, not both. So you get a new bag or a new compressor and in a couple weeks it falls again. The only true way to PERMANENTLY fix the problem is the convert to Powder Coated American Made steel coil springs. At Strut Masters we guarantee our product will last you the life of your car. That is why all kits come with a Lifetime Warranty!!! I left the link so you can check it out. Take a look you could save yourself alot of money!!!

http://www.strutmasters.com/http://www.strutmasters.com/range-rover-discovery-suspension-s/100.htm

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Good Luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM