Reason for cupped tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR3&SD

Reaction score
We have a 06 LR3 with the 4.4l engine. It came with cupped tires when we bought it at 8,800 miles. They lasted until about 37,000 miles.

We replaced them with Pirelli Scorpion Zero's and had the LR dealer do an alignment. We rotated the tires once at around 40,000 miles, now at 43,000 the fronts are cupped.

What gives? I do not understand why they cupped. I am used my 99 F-250 and tires that last 80,000 miles with regular rotations.

Is the IFS/IRS setup on the LR3 flawed?

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
likewise.. 50,000 on my Nittos with the rear being the casue of the cupping....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that some tires/rubber are more prone to cupping perhaps. I had inside wear on the original GYs in the rear (passenger side). I got an alignment and slapped on some Michelin Synchrones and 40k+ miles later have not had any issues.

It may be instructive to keep track of which tires are cupping and which aren't so that we, as a community, can become more aware. So far the Nittos and Pirellis are not faring well and the Michelins are. Anyone have evidence to the contrary or something new to throw in?

I'm really interested in the Nokian WRG2 tires for my next on-road shoes....hopefully a year or so away, but, anyone running these yet?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread...I think the answer is that it may be a function of the suspension AND the tires but either way that question can't be answered here and unless you are going to ditch the LR3 because of this characteristic, it may be more constructive to align often and for us (collectively) to figure out which tires wear best on the LR3.

LR3&SD

Reaction score
The factory Goodyear Wrangler HP's were our first set of cupped tires. We also heard from the dealer that the Michelin's were good, but I don't think they are available for an 18" wheel.

photodisco

Reaction score
My Goodyear's were replaced at 12k by the dealer due to excessive noise and cupping and now at 40k the "newer" ones have decent tread but unbearable noise....

For what it's worth - Michelin is no longer making the Synchrones and have replaced them with the Latitudes. I have read much better revies of the Pirelli ATR's vs. the Scorpions which are not getting favorable reviews.

My Yokohama Geolander HT/S's went 65k with virtually no noise to the end on my Disco II.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the negative camber that causes softer rubber tires to cup. Typically the greater camber settings in the rear axle cause it. Look from behind and you will see the tops of the wheels tipped in.

I honestly think you waited too long to swap front to rear tires, and they were possibly already cupped when they got to the front.

Maybe it just a vestige from my sporty car days, but I always do a "straight rotate". Swap the front and rears on the same side. I also do it every other oil change or approx 2x a year. Good luck!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rotation plan seems to work, too.

Every time I go offroading (about 6 - 10 times per year) I take off my stock rims and put my MT/R-addorned 18" rims on. I don't keep track of which 19" rim come from whatever corner so when they go back on, they go wherever the hell I put them!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like you method better too! Maybe for the next round of tires....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99