reasons for no start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My '05 LR3 will not start when it's cold. First a little history: This summer, it developed a timing chain tensioner rattle. From what I gather, the oil leaks out of a valve or something in the tensioner and upon startup there's a clatter sound that lasts a second or so, and then everything is fine. After consults with a few mechanics, it was either do a $3500 fix or deal with it. I was going to sell it, and the sound turned off prospective buyers but I didn't want to spend 1/3 the going price of the car just for this. One mechanic talked me in to adding 50 weight Royal Purple and some Dura guard. This fixed the problem for the most part. But now it absolutely won't start when it's cold (below 20 or so). It turns over fine, maybe it's a little slow because of the thick oil. But it's like it is out of gas, just cranks and cranks. I have new plugs, a relatively new battery, a new alternator.

So the question is, is there some mechanism in there that prevents starting if the oil is too thick? Seems odd, but there's a lot of odd things with these vehicles. I guess the next step is changing out the oil back to 5W 30 to see.

Otherwise, what else should I look at? :stupid:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might not be the right direction...but you could add a block heater. May be a good idea if you see temps that low on a regular basis, anyway.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With the oil that think the sensors in the engine may think you have little or no oil so it doesn't start. Everything is ran by a computer anymore so that could be an issue.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - and the confirmation that this MIGHT be the problem. I put 5-30 in today, we'll see how it goes. My search found a post by Bbyer on another forum that his problem was the viscous clutch in the fan. Just another sign that the computer has to 'see' everything is ok in order to start. A block heater would be fun, but have never had the need for it, down to about -20 or so.
Dang, this car has me really torn about selling it. I really do love it, and it has been great to me. Probably should have never got the LR4. It's better in a lot of ways, but not $40,000 better! But I guess little things like starting go a long way, lol.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know all the ways the LR4 is better...coming from an owner of both. Maybe a separate post. I'd like to hear it from the interior/feature side, the comfort side and the performance side. Not so much a style/taste standpoint because that's all subjective. I'd rather hear if the extra 75 hp is really palpable...or what about off-road? One of my local LR Dealer Service people asserts that the LR3 is "just better" than the newer ones, offroad. I don't see how it can really be different (other than easier to fit 18s) but maybe there is something less obvious like differences in the tuning (of Terrain Response or other drivetrain & suspension components).

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of the 'better' is that many things are a little more elegant and refined. And mainly the interior. I'm not a big fan of the refinement/bling done on the outside.

I have heard the terrain response settings were supposed to be improved or tweaked, but not sure what that means. I don't use them all that much anyway. I guess I haven't fully embraced them.

Mechanically:
I doubt there is really much if any difference off roading - although my new one has the locking differential so it should be marginally better. Otherwise I can't see what could really be different.
I can tell you that the traction control is less intrusive, less harsh and less noisy, which is nice.
The engine is miles ahead, of the Lr3. Miles. It sounds waaaaay better too. Even though I'm not a speed demon, it's pretty fantastic.

Anything in terms of ride quality, cabin noise etc would be tough to compare because of the difference in age.

I'm not sure what else mechanically, I'll give it some more thought. But most of the rest is creature comforts. The seats are way more supportive, the lumbar adjustment actually works. The leather seems like it is a better grade. the nav system is still vastly inferior to everyone else, but 10x better than the LR3. The rain sensing wipers actually work, and are actually adjustable for sensitivity. It might sound stupid but it's easier to shut the doors. I'm not sure if it was just mine, but the LR3 doors required a heck of a lot more force than you'd think to shut them.. almost never got it right the first time, lol.

And some things were available on Lr3s but I didn't have: The heated steering wheel is way more awesome than I thought it would be. The stereo is a lot better sound wise than mine, but being on the nav screen instead of a dedicated 'radio' is still something I"m not used to. The keyless entry is a feature I am liking a lot and the pushbutton start is pretty great as well. I like the backup camera, have never had one.

I'd be happy sitting behind the wheel of either one really. I probably wouldn't have missed all the improvements if I didn't know about them, but they are nice to have.

That's why I never test ride new motorcycles - what you don't know, you can't covet!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another poster (maybe a different forum) stated that the 75 HP wasn't noticeable. Off-road they really should be the same, if equipped the same. Like you I like the LR3 exterior better. I at first really liked the LR4's interior way better but now I just like the door. Heated steering wheel is nice but the leather-wrapping on the LR3 feels and looks good. The wood trim on the LR4 is nice, but the material used everywhere around that seems "rubbery" to me. I do like the stainless steel look of the knobs and switches.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9