Recent extended warranty experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
I looked into the sticky thread but it seems quite outdated.
My 3 year extended warranty is coming to an end on my 2008 lr3 hse, 73k miles. It has been running really well, touch wood, and I wanted to explore another 3-4 years, 30-40k miles extended warranty service.

Any good suggestions on a reputable extended warranty that someone has taken in recent times?

Silmarillion

Reaction score
My dealer recommended ASC. Local Atlanta guy. They require the purchase on all their vehicles now apparently. Long story short, I don't have one (but tried, and luckily haven't had any problems)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into the sticky thread but it seems quite outdated.

Any good suggestions on a reputable extended warranty that someone has taken in recent times?

277 threads mentioning "extended warranty" and you felt the need to start yet another one?

It has been discussed AT LENGTH in recent threads. No sense in reposting all that stuff again.

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
277 threads mentioning "extended warranty" and you felt the need to start yet another one?

It has been discussed AT LENGTH in recent threads. No sense in reposting all that stuff again.

Yes.

Because none of those had recent posts about getting the ext warranty on LR3 recently, and given most of LR3s are now 6-7 years old, old posts' info aint that relevant. I did post at the EW sticky, if you'd care to notice, and didnt get any response..

No more potatoes!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know where it is but I posted with other people quite a bit of info in a thread just this year. It may be in a thread that appears at first to be more about reliability or something like buying a used one. You're best bet is to call several different dealers and ask what they have to offer. They are not all the same, by huge margin as I found out.

In the Seattle area, one dealer best price was 2x a different dealer who sold a better coverage after market warranty with 0$ deductible. Call out of your area too. The key is definitely do it before yours is expired. At the age of yours though, it may be fairly expensive.

You could just create a savings fund for it starting with the cost of a high coverage warranty, say at least $5000, then add $100/month to it.

This is essentially gambling. When you buy the warranty, you commit to that loss up front on speculation that you'd have to spend more on your own without it, but you have zero chance left to spend less. By creating a fund you hedge against the odds that not all lr3 need so much $ in repairs.

You probably can't find a warranty to cover past 100,000 miles, or not by much. Depending on your annual mileage, you could blow through a 27,000 mile extension of coverage pretty quickly like 1 yr, or slowly like maybe 3 years ?

Generally the less cycles a vehicle goes through, the more mileage you can go between failures. Cross country trips for example vs daily 20 mile commuting or towing vs empty/no heavy parts added on.

Lastly, a deductible of just $100 in my case would have resulted in well over $1500 additional cost to me over the 4 yrs/50,000 extended that I had on the lr3. So, I advise anyone to always choose the 0$ deductible like I did.

If I had your vehicle and the warranty would cost over $4000 but only cover 27k, I'd run through that in 1.5 years, maybe 2 at most, so I'd opt for the self funded repair account instead. Especially if you have any debt over 7% interest. $5000 not spent on the warranty can either save you a lot of interest $ on other debts or make you a decent return invested in a growth position.

Another way to think about the $ spent now on warranties vs later "if" it needs a repair is that under a warranty, while the vehicle sits still you're actually burning through that money spent. It ticks away over time regardless of your mileage driven whereas by saving $ yourself for repairs, while it sits it is prolonging the next repair interval.

Philosophically speaking, if one cannot afford the unexpected expensive repair, whether it be to a car, house, etc, then they are in fact overextended on said item. Therefor the person who cannot really afford the odd high cost repair, should not put themselves at risk by trying to own a vehicle that could cost beyond their means to maintain.

If I haven't talked you out of it yet ;) , for sake of knowledge alone try comparing what's offered at the couple local dealers here:
Bellevue/Lynnwood Land Rover, $$$$ vs Tacoma Land Rover is where I found the much better deal.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer recommended ASC. Local Atlanta guy. They require the purchase on all their vehicles now apparently. Long story short, I don't have one (but tried, and luckily haven't had any problems)

A dealer cannot "require" a buyer to additionally purchase an extended warranty, especially aftermarket such as your post suggests.

Also, how can you "try" to buy a warranty but not accomplish?

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
Well, I don't know where it is but I posted with other people quite a bit of info in a thread just this year. It may be in a thread that appears at first to be more about reliability or something like buying a used one. You're best bet is to call several different dealers and ask what they have to offer. They are not all the same, by huge margin as I found out.

In the Seattle area, one dealer best price was 2x a different dealer who sold a better coverage after market warranty with 0$ deductible. Call out of your area too. The key is definitely do it before yours is expired. At the age of yours though, it may be fairly expensive.

You could just create a savings fund for it starting with the cost of a high coverage warranty, say at least $5000, then add $100/month to it.

This is essentially gambling. When you buy the warranty, you commit to that loss up front on speculation that you'd have to spend more on your own without it, but you have zero chance left to spend less. By creating a fund you hedge against the odds that not all lr3 need so much $ in repairs.

You probably can't find a warranty to cover past 100,000 miles, or not by much. Depending on your annual mileage, you could blow through a 27,000 mile extension of coverage pretty quickly like 1 yr, or slowly like maybe 3 years ?

Generally the less cycles a vehicle goes through, the more mileage you can go between failures. Cross country trips for example vs daily 20 mile commuting or towing vs empty/no heavy parts added on.

Lastly, a deductible of just $100 in my case would have resulted in well over $1500 additional cost to me over the 4 yrs/50,000 extended that I had on the lr3. So, I advise anyone to always choose the 0$ deductible like I did.

If I had your vehicle and the warranty would cost over $4000 but only cover 27k, I'd run through that in 1.5 years, maybe 2 at most, so I'd opt for the self funded repair account instead. Especially if you have any debt over 7% interest. $5000 not spent on the warranty can either save you a lot of interest $ on other debts or make you a decent return invested in a growth position.

Another way to think about the $ spent now on warranties vs later "if" it needs a repair is that under a warranty, while the vehicle sits still you're actually burning through that money spent. It ticks away over time regardless of your mileage driven whereas by saving $ yourself for repairs, while it sits it is prolonging the next repair interval.

Philosophically speaking, if one cannot afford the unexpected expensive repair, whether it be to a car, house, etc, then they are in fact overextended on said item. Therefor the person who cannot really afford the odd high cost repair, should not put themselves at risk by trying to own a vehicle that could cost beyond their means to maintain.

If I haven't talked you out of it yet ;) , for sake of knowledge alone try comparing what's offered at the couple local dealers here:
Bellevue/Lynnwood Land Rover, $$$$ vs Tacoma Land Rover is where I found the much better deal.

Thanks, this is very very insightful. I'll probably put a link on the sticky post as well.

Yes, i'm reaching out to my local lr dealer to everyone. I have around 4 months warranty left but definitely want to get another one, with minimum deductible, before it gets done. I'm hoping to get around 30k which should keep it running for 2.5 to 3 years for me. Basically looking out for that big air compressor failure/change. Its wierd i'm hoping it to happen in the next four months even though my lr3 is working just fine... I'm checking reach and every problem with fine tooth comb so that next servicing at the dealer can make use of the warranty as much as possible..

Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely not buy a warranty solely for the air compressor worry. It may work fine right up to 100k or 3 more years and it's not even all that expensive unless you simply let the dealer charge you their price for the part. It's actually not even that hard to replace yourself with a unit from Arnott, Atlantic British, Rovers North, etc.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
A dealer cannot "require" a buyer to additionally purchase an extended warranty, especially aftermarket such as your post suggests.

Also, how can you "try" to buy a warranty but not accomplish?

I mean, I guess Yoda was correct - there is either do or do not.

I rolled the warranty purchase into the car loan- they threw an extra 1.4k into the price of the price of the car with the written stipulation that they would buy me a warranty with that money (and $600 for a roof rack if they came across one in one of the auction vehicles they buy). I wanted to maximize cash on hand while opening a new business... I followed up with them regularly and they kept saying they would get the warranty, or they had already gotten it, or they just wouldn't return my calls.

After one year, they cut me a check for $2k as they couldn't provide proof they got a warranty and never got the roof rack....so, I tried getting one for a year....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72