Recent extended warranty experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh wow! that's really f-d up. had you needed a warranty repair in that time what the hell would they have done i wonder. sounds strange even. how can a dealer not just buy the freakin warranty right on the spot.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
Agreed! I was quite frustrated. They fixed all the things that came up within the first few weeks of ownership without any pushback, the biggest being that the vehicle would not shift in to sport or command shift, which apparently took like 6 hours of work to rewire.

Luckily nothing has broken since I bought the truck! Loving this LR3. Got to off road this weekend AND comfortably shoot a 22 out of it using the cargo cover as an armrest :D

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having been in the automotive (sales and repair sides) 20 years ago and investments for about 5-7 years I fully endorse JWEST's recommendation of self insuring. Either way there's a gamble. As he pointed out, buying the extended warranty, which is an insurance policy, is pricey at the age of most LR3s now and is a bet that you're going to spend a lot more in repair costs than the price of the policy. Future dollars always cost more than today's dollars (unless you have massive deflation, but that's another discussion) and as JWEST pointed out you have the potential for a bit of return on your investment with a higher interest rate.
Either way, if you can lay down a chunk now, regularly deposit into that account to build it up, you will have a very nice repair reserve without any deductible, hassle, and with the option to use for something else if needed.
This is my most likely course of action once my current Ford Premium Care Extended Warranty plan expires in 2016. I'll be over 100k miles on an 8 year old vehicle, pushing towards 10 years old. In the meantime, I'm making every effort with my independent LR shop to push through every possible warranty covered repair. Additionally, Ford doesn't offer this warranty on LRs.

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
In the meantime, I'm making every effort with my independent LR shop to push through every possible warranty covered repair. Additionally, Ford doesn't offer this warranty on LRs.

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding an Independent LR shop here at Manhattan/Jersey City/Newark/Hoboken area, especially who can help push every possible repair covered by the warranty. I take mine to a dealer.

Any advice?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72