Recommended Indy shop in San Diego

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Higgins

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a reputable Indy in San Diego. My EPB just went out and I really don’t fancy doing the job myself. Most videos show how to fix it on an LR3, but access on the LR4 is much more limited.

Thanks!

ugmw177

Reaction score
cannot recommend anyone is SD as i am ono east coast but just had this done at an indie shop as I did not feel like dealing with this myself due to limited space, no lift and recent arm surgery. Anyhow, I purchased the EPB module assembly from AB [oem LR] for about $1100 and shop charged about $1300 for the install for total of $2400.

John Higgins

Reaction score
One Indy shop here quoted me $2500. I know it needs rear brakes (discs for sure and most likely shoes, and pads since we're doing it!) so that's going to bump it another $500 - $1000.
For now; I've popped the release on the parking brake and will drive on. I've ordered brake parts and will do those and check the state. I'm suspecting the nylon gears in the module are now toast with all my fiddling but in case I'm really really lucky:

- If the EPB motor and gears are okay (and my initial issue was due to the shoes being maladjusted); is there a way to reconnect the cables internally to the module using the GAP tool? IIRC there's a 'mount' option?
- I've seen some other functions in the GAP tools for the EPB. Does anyone have a description of each function?
- Has anyone seen a guide for removing the EPB module on an LR4? I've seen plenty for the LR3 but only a mysterious note about sliding the module out the RH wheel well on the LR4.

Thanks! I've known this day was coming. Pity it's 5 months outside of my extended warranty :(

John Higgins

Reaction score
Well, here's the answer to question 2. I'm particularly interested in Question1 though if anyone has any ideas.

Drive the parking brake to the mounting position -> This is to service the brakes
Drive the parking brake to the latching position -> Return to normal/working position
Longitudinal accelerometer calibration -> Speaks for itself
Parking brake unjam procedure -> Muddy
Clutch sensor calibration -> For vehicles fitted with a manual transmission

CCF:

Drive-away release -> EPB engaged, pressing the accelerator pedal will disengage it.
Key-out apply -> EPB will engaged when key is removed from ignition.

Source: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/epb-module-iidtool-list-features-119452.html

ugmw177

Reaction score
Yes, EPB module must come out from the Right rear side on LR4. Space is super tight and add a little rust and corrosion and you see why shops get 2500 or so.
I would expect you can open yours up and replace the nylon gear set and be good to reinstall if cables are not too rusty. Mine was eating the gears and the motor had become kind of noisy. Finally one day, I heard a metallic pop and it jammed completely. Had to pull the manual release. Son drives the car in the mountains most of the time so needed a park brake on all of those hills. bit the bullet and had it replaced with new. works a treat now.

Last edited:

sdtim

Reaction score
I.E. Rovers does great work. The owner is the president of the So Cal Rovers club. He knows LRs like no one else. It's a little outside SD, but probably worth the drive.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I've been to both of these shops... but didn't quite do any work with either of them. I do most of my own work.

Super knowledgeable guys and honest. I came here to have them take a look at my charging issues and instead I had an hour long chat with the master mechanic telling me that I was on the right track and did everything that they would have done, and sent me on my way. https://www.yelp.com/biz/british-and-german-autoworks-san-diego

I had my pre-inspection done with these guys. They are honest and VERY busy. Getting a scheduled time slot back in 2016 was at least 2 weeks out. https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-british-garage-san-diego-2?osq=land+rover

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72