Removeable screens for windows...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

threeputt

OK I'm not the tallest, but my wife and I together can lay down comfortably in the back of our LR3 with everything folded flat. We're "camping" soon at an overnight bonfire homebrew club meeting and thought it'd be cool to not pitch a tent for just a few hours of drunken slumber. I was thinking it would be cool if someone made some removeable roll-up magnetic strip secured screens to cover a window or two for ventilation. You guys ever seen anything like this? I suppose I could fashion something like that but it would look like hell if I did it...

Jeff

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find it, let us know. I'm enormous at 6'-7" and way too many pounds, and I can comfortably sleep in the back of my truck on a camping air mattress, but some cross ventilation would be MUCH nicer than just the sunroof screen.

S

schafari

For a single overnighter, with just me or me and one of my young kids, I'll sleep in the LR3. The flat floor and length is just right. It is really great. I did make some screens up so that ventilation will be happening all through the night. I have day screens and night screens. Night are smaller for security reasons. You can quickly make this in a couple of hours. Previous poster put the details.

One thing. Bring the cargo cover with you, even if you can't fit it in the normal spot. The flat bed happens when you place the cargo cover rolled up in its storage spot in the floor. Without it, you have a small gap.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiiitttt a minute!

Are you saying the black felt covered plastic roll up cargo cover fits down on the floor between the middle seats and the rear cargo area? WOW I did not know that. Now I gotta go check that out!

T

threeputt

Yeah the cargo cover is a must if you are lying on anything less than an air mattress. You can feel the gap. I remember your setup earlier this year Schafari, I was just wondering if anything commercial had come along. All of my DIY time and effort lately has been put into my home brewery. Seems like sewing some flexible magnetic strips into the edges of a piece of nylon screen might work for full window ventilation, but I haven't checked to see if a magnet is attracted to the roof material. I remember seeing somewhere a long time ago that the roof and hood were a magnesium alloy to save top weight....? THat would explain the odd TING PANG PING sound when the first few raindrops fall as you're cruising down the road.

Jeff

S

schafari

A couple of things. In really thinking about what would work and going through some trials, I eventually ruled out a flexible hanging like screen attached with magnets. The biggest reason was usually while camping the LR3 sees many trails. Dirt/dust is all over the truck within the first 24 hours. No matter how careful, magnets will scratch if the surface is dirty.

Also, you may just want to try a one nighter, simply with the sunroof open, but the screen closed. One trick I did in the morning, was to pop the glass hatch. If you do it from inside, it will pop open only a crack, but still be locked. There will be room for air to get in/out, but it won't actually open. You can also crack the windows slightly. With just the sunroof, you will be OK with one person, depending on the weather. With two, I have never tried with just the sunroof.

And yes, the cargo cover rolled up, fits in the gap between the back seats. This forms an amazingly flat contiguous load deck.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schafari said:

Also, you may just want to try a one nighter, simply with the sunroof open, but the screen closed. One trick I did in the morning, was to pop the glass hatch. If you do it from inside, it will pop open only a crack, but still be locked. There will be room for air to get in/out, but it won't actually open. You can also crack the windows slightly. With just the sunroof, you will be OK with one person, depending on the weather. With two, I have never tried with just the sunroof. ....

MOSQUITOES!!!!

Those little F'ers will find any opening. Thus the need for screens...

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pulling up a way old thread...but has anyone tried these http://www.magnascreen.com/ .

i think i am going to order a couple screens. they should easily fit over the LR3 rear windows. we are going camping/wheeling in a couple of weekends, and i really dont want to mess with the tent. i'm not sure how comfortable it will be w/ me, the wife, and 2 small dogs all crammed in the back of the LR3. we should be pretty light on the packing as it is just 2 nights and only a few hrs from home.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a set of theses for the xterra out of home depot supplies (door screen, magnet roll, and hot glue). I didnt think they would work on the LR3 because the b-pillar is plastic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4