Replacing the rear differential??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
What a morning... what was supposed to be a 30 minute oil change turned out to be over 2hrs. The service guy said that when the mechanic test drove my car after changing the oil, he noticed a "clunking"sound and said that the rear differential needs to be replaced. He said that this is a random occurrence and it is covered under warranty. They have to order the part and then it takes a day or 2 to install. so now i have a beat up gm loaner and won't have my ride back until possibly Monday or Tuesday...

Is this really possible for the rear diff to go bad??? Has anyone had theirs replaced at 30k or in that range?? I find this very strange...since it is not an issue that has been mentioned here on this site before...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Bremerbuttjer

Reaction score
Just having mine replaced as well. 2005 LR3 HSE close to 30k. Dealer told me that LR is aware of the problem and it apparently sources from the inside coating used at the factory being disolved causing the fluid to be saturated with particles which then causes the noise and eventually failure.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the noise you are describing? Is it a clunk or a whine type of noise? Mine is making a whine correlated to mph and I'm wondering if it's my rear diff. Thanks.

Bremerbuttjer

Reaction score
JJVD21 Mine is a "whine" type noise. It is especially evident when I first accelerate and when coming to a stop, almost like a "winding down" airplane kinda sound.

Soccermom

Reaction score
Just say your note on the rear diff. problem. I have an 05 LR3 HSE with 83,000 miles and just learned today that it has to be replaced - crazy and OUCH! Very expensive $4K fix. Do you have any more information about Landrover being aware of this problem?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72