Replacing the Starter in a 98 Discovery.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Le Rutt

Reaction score
I'm half way through replacing the starter in my '98 Discovery (144,000 miles). It took me most of the day to take the old one out. That top bolt was a friggin bear to get out. The manual makes it look easy with a long extension on your socket wrench but, by the time I threaded extension past the engine mount and a sensor sticking out of the engine, it was at such a steep angle to bolt I couldn't get it out that way. After buying a bunch of different extensions I was able to get my ratchet between the exhaust and the engine mount and persuaded it out.
Any way the old one is out and I'll put the new one in tomorrow. While it is out I was wondering if there is anything to check. I tried looking in the hole with a mirror but it is still hard to see in. Maybe I can put my digital camera up to the hole and take a picture. What should I be looking for? I imagine metal shavings would be bad....
I also took the grounding cable off and looked at it. There were a few broken strands, I counted 15. I'm guessing I should replace that. Hopefully that wasn't the initial problem. The original symptom was, it was slow to start (like a dead battery). Since the battery was over 5 years old I replaced it but the symptom did not go away. The alternator was kicking out 14 volts so I read somewhere if the headlights dim when trying to start it could be the starter, that is why I'm replacing it.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Le Rutt

Reaction score
Nyloc Nuts?

One more thing. The manual says to replace the nyloc nuts on the propeller with new ones. Does anyone know a cheap source for them? I'm sure the LR dealership would love to sell me some for $5 apiece.

Thanks again.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with your local auto supply store like NAPA for the nyloc nuts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM