Replacing Water Pump on D1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Klark said:
I am about to tackle the assignment of changing out the water pump. Any gotchas i need to be prepared for? I'd appreciate the heads up.

On the water pump,

(1) Try Nathan at www.discountrovers.com; I got a really good deal and it comes with the gasket.

(2) Make sure all of the old gasket is off the housing before installing the new one.

(3) As I recall from talking with mechanics, this is among the easier vehicles to change water pumps on. Good luck! You could always document it and send it to Sam for inclusion as a Tech Article...

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roversconnection.com got waterpumps for 87$ right now..

Replacement is pretty easy, just follow what Andy told you and make sure you aint damaged block when removing old gasket. Careful with gasket remover sprays - if you use one - make sure you covered everything that can get damaged (hooses & etc) with shop towels and they arent soaking wet in dissolving solution.

Not that bolts are of different length.

Note that you should follow opposide sides pattern to tighten it properly.

Do not overtighten - aluminium block isnt very tolerant of it

Fan removal is fun :) Thread is counterclockwise on it.

Mind fan blades - they are easy to break.

When refilling coolant - usual caution, slow filling to get rid of air bubbles..

Overwise - if i can do it - anyone can do it :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM