Reputation for quiet - Not seeing it or rather....hearing it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading so many posts on how quiet the LR3 is, I fear I may have something amiss with mine. I can't recall the dealer test drive I did on another one prior to purchasing mine in terms of what "normal" sounds like.

Regardless...here is the problem. I can hear what sounds like normal or louder than normal transmission or transfer case noise when there is load on the engine. It is not super loud but it is noticeable. I am a bit of a stickler and my wife doesn't even notice it, thinks it is a normal "truck" sound, especially after driving a Grand Cherokee for the last few years. The noise ceases altogether when I take my foot off the accelerator but even the lightest press brings it back.

Question is...before I head to my dealer....what is normal for the LR3, do others hear much on acceleration? This is definitely not a grinding or rubbing or anything severe, more of a light humming sound over and above normal engine sound but definitely noticeable. Any known issues?

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
Mine (2006) doesn't have that noise at all. A pleasant engine note under acceleration, but not tranny/transfer case.

The primary source of noise in my LR3 is wind noise - just a function of a tall, bluff vehicle having to push aside a lot of air.

Now that I've crossed 12K miles, however, I'm running into the well documented Goodyear issue - and tire noise is dramatically higher now than when it was new. My wife, who hadn't been in the vehicle for a while, was quite surprised how much tire roar the truck has now.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you certain that the noise is coming from the transmission or transfer case? A light humming over the engine noise could be your air suspension...mine commonly makes noise, particularly after it raises or lowers....or pretty much whenever it feels like it, then stops. I can't say that it is tied to accelaration or anything though.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it is not the air suspension because I can only hear it when I push the accelerator. As soon as I take my foot off the noise subsides.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont hear anything other than engine in mine. And I hear everything, believe me :smile:. So maybe you wanna have it checked out.

My '95 Montero did exactly what you are describing, but only when I had it in all-wheel drive mode (I could switch between 2-wheel/rear-wheel and all-wheel drive mode in that truck) and with full load (like six passengers.) And it was only noticeable at freeway speeds when you let off the throttle and stepped on it again. I took it as the noise of the extra components being engaged in the drivetrain while in all-wheel drive, and with full load

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to doubt it is the transmission. Other than some software settings, the transmission has been amazing with veyr few reported problems or complaints since launch three years ago.

The tires are most likely culprit. The stock Goodyears are embarrasingly bad

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I toasted the Goodyears and am running with brand new Avons. It definitely is something related to drive components because if I coast the vehicle it goes away completely. Could it be from transfer case as opposed to the tranny? I'll report back...taking it in 2 weeks from now.

ricsenior

Reaction score
Did this noise get resolved? I have the same issue on my LR3 above 80mph.
Thanks
Ric

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a serpentine belt tensioner issue that only made noise when I pushed on the accelerator (when I was moving or stopped). Have them check that, it only takes a few seconds.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its the same, but I had mine in at 34k in april for a growling noise under vehicle when driving. Ended up being failed front axle support bearing and it was replaced under warranty. It drove me crazy and my wife acts like she couldn't hear it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635