RF wheel frozen, Im sure its a brake prob...long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well Ive put 2k miles on it since I bought it. PO told me it needed brakes, last week they started grinding. I thought ok, well Ill take care of it right after the Holidays. Well I was a few hours from home and I was cleaning off the snow and noticed my right front wheel is *destroyed*

Right then and there I called up Atlantic British and ordered a full rotor/pad set for the front+rear and made an appt for Monday to install. Drove the car home making at the most 5 stops (3hr drive from southern Indiana to Indianapolis, IN)

Pulled in and stopped where my other car is parked to make sure it was good to go for tomorrow..get back in to pull rover under the carport and I could tell the caliper was sticking and causing the car to not want to move all that well. Parked it and called it a night - I got in it this morning to move it 20ft to wash it and the right front wheel wont even turn. traction control was coming on and the rear tires spinning to move the car (it is wet out)

Heres some pics: Any help anyone - I dont know what my next move is. Car needs to go about 5 miles to the shop on Sunday night. Thanks in advance.

roverrotor1.jpg

roverwheel1.jpg

roverwheel2.jpg

roverwheel3.JPG

D

discomike

Sam,
Cutting to the long and the short of it, you're in deep S--T!!!
Best you can do is to put the t/case in neutral, have some one pick up the front end and tow it.
The only other option would be to tear the front caliper off and replace it, easy job with very few tools.
Make sure whoever works on it that you do a complete brake flush to get rid of aall the burned fluid.
Hell of a way to start a new year.
Mike J.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it going to require a new caliper regardless of the scenario? Cause if it is, (and I have no clue) Ill go ahead and order it. Luck would have it my brother is borrowing the Pathfinder and Im stuck driving a Porsche in Dec/Jan. Oh the Irony...
mad.gif

D

discomike

Sam,
How many miles are on the truck?
Normally you replace calipers, especially front aclipers, by the pair otherwise you will have a brake pull problem with one new and one old.
Sorry,
Mike J.

S

SteveA

You might as well do them both. If you're doing pads and rotors on the front anyway, it doesn't make sense not to do both calipers. Cheap insurance is what I think.

Stephen

D

discomike

I agree, you are in that grey area, they should both be done.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90