Rod mod/programmer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my understanding of the rod mod is that it can shift all of your ride height settings by one level. in other words, the access mode with the mod is the old normal height, etc.:

STOCK MODIFIED
access = not available with rod mod
normal = access
offroad = normal
extended = offroad

is there a way to use the programmer to tell your truck not to automatically raise itself out of access height at 30mph? if that can be done, then you could run the rod mod, tell the truck to stay in access mode (or at least what it thinks is access mode), and you would be able to retain stock ride height while still being able to obtain offroad and extended modes with the press of a button.

i don't know much about either the rod mod nor the programmer; it's just idle thoughts on my part...

ubp_sanity

Reaction score
I was kinda wondering something along the same lines myself. But actually wondering if you can just program in different offsets for the heights. Like have access and standard the same, but make off-road a bigger value. So, the same lift as the rod-mod, but done in software. Those values may be hard coded though, and not easy to change.

Maybe even make access even lower, and standard a touch lower. Great for everyday driving, and if you can get a bigger lift in off road, perfect for off-road as well.

I'm going to say it can't be done though, or I wouldn't even have to wonder about it, people would already be talking about it.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you have access to program the access height, then you don't even need the rods, as you tell the computer what the heights would be in the programming!

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can modify ride height settings with programming software. Knowledgeable Independents can perform this IF they have the system. What you can't do is - a. over-ride the 30mph kick down for Access or OffRoad modes. b. program individual settings which are dissimilar in height relationship - ie: Normal mode is stock height and OffRoad mode is stock + 1-1/2". You have to maintain parallel relationships for all modes because they are hard wired into the Terrain Response programming. All heights will be "lifted". The 5 minute rod mod install is still the best bang for your buck IMO.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a faultmate and have yet to figure out how to program it higher. I have done the sensor calibration however. "blackforestham" is right you can not override the speed related overrides. I would imagine if you could find someone to rewrite the "terrain response" software code you could elimate those overrides but you certainly would have to "reflash" the ecu with the new software...

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a faultmate and have yet to figure out how to program it higher. I have done the sensor calibration however. "blackforestham" is right you can not override the speed related overrides. I would imagine if you could find someone to rewrite the "terrain response" software code you could elimate those overrides but you certainly would have to "reflash" the ecu with the new software...

Trynian (Scott) does this at the trailhead with his faultmate. Hopefully he can chime in.

NeilP

Reaction score
I have a faultmate and have yet to figure out how to program it higher. I have done the sensor calibration however....

When you calibrate , don't you just " +25 " and everything is then an inch higher
for everything ? The only person I know with a Faultmate stated that 25mm
was the maximum addition , since the programme lines in the CANBus are
for fine adjustment of each corner , not " lifting " as you're requiring .

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you calibrate , don't you just " +25 " and everything is then an inch higher
for everything ? The only person I know with a Faultmate stated that 25mm
was the maximum addition , since the programme lines in the CANBus are
for fine adjustment of each corner , not " lifting " as you're requiring .

I really don't know. I thought I had read somewhere that the calibration is just to get the sensors to "agree" on height. Then there is another setting for the height itself? I don't really know. I have my own modded rods anyway so it's no big deal to me.

Trynian

Reaction score
You change the calibration settings down to make the car go higher. ie if one setting is 0 then -25 will make it go higher. The highest you can go on any one sensor is -50 so amount of total lift will vary from truck to truck.

I recalibrate to about 1.5" over stock offroad.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...so you just set each corner to -50 and you get max lift all the way around?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635