Roof Advice for a newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obdoc

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 HSE (Sumatra Black) that I got in May and absolutely LOVE. The car is my primary car. I use it for everything. I also got it to use for the occasional family trip.

I am interested in getting a rack on my roof that I can use for a roof box and possibly a ski rack. I am not a DIYer and I am looking for advice on what I need to get for the car. I think I need to get the short rails installed to start. Then I need some kind of crossbars?

I am open to all advice, knowledge and suggestions. Please let me know your thoughts on :
1. basic rail
2. Crossbars
3. Boxes
4. Additional accessories

I am also planning on buying a hitch receiver. I am open to any info.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
You have a lot of choices, but this is the most versatile.

62ac196d.jpg

Truck & Photo: FinlayForPrez

obdoc

Reaction score
While that is excellent, it is a little more "versatile" thank I am looking for. I was going to get the short roof rails installed by my dealer, as it looks like a little more of a project that I want to take on. They quoted me $510 installed. I figure then I can get crossbars and add whatever I feel like to it.
Any thoughts on the rail install? What about LR crossbars vs. Thule or Yakima options?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that is excellent, it is a little more "versatile" thank I am looking for. I was going to get the short roof rails installed by my dealer, as it looks like a little more of a project that I want to take on. They quoted me $510 installed. I figure then I can get crossbars and add whatever I feel like to it.
Any thoughts on the rail install? What about LR crossbars vs. Thule or Yakima options?
Hey obdoc,

That's my LR4 posted above and it may be more than you want as far as a roof rack. I think your idea about the short roof rails is perfect, as you have options for cross bars. There are lots of folks on the forum with cross-bars, so hopefully someone can guide you with getting the right ones. I think a lot of folks have the OEM ones, but there are certainly after market options. Best of luck!

-David

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The scariest part of installing the short roof rails is cutting the drip rail. The instructions are fairly good, and the cut does no need to be perfect as the overlap with the short roof rails will cover any sloppiness

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obdoc,

I am, at best, moderately mechanically inclined, and except for one issue, had no problems installing the short roof rails. It's not a big deal...just realize, some members, and some dealers, have managed to crack the glass roof during install. Thats a pretty expensive mistake compared to @150 bucks to get it installed professionally. My one issue: I had never really used a torque wrench before, and the instructions were in metric, so the force required was a bit unknown to me. Like the idiot I apparently am, I used a very large torque wrench to tighten the screws which completely snapped off one of the bolts before I realized what happened! The cost to drill out the screw and replace it came embarrassingly close to the install fee in the first place. Very dumb... beers, 1:00am and working on my car apparently do not go together....the roof window did survive...so I have that going for me...

I mounted thule aeroblades to the roof and they are adequate. I thought of trying the yakima route as i am not impressed with the way the thule mounts (search for the post), but I have been lazy, and as some have commented, it does ultimately work.

cheers,

Chris

obdoc

Reaction score
Chris--
Sounds like good advice. I am probably similar to you and could get it done, but for the risk, $150 seems like a small price to pay. Of course I am going to have to wait a little as the new expense is going to be the deductible to replace my windshield. Was driving on the highway today and must have take a rock to the windshield. The crack is now from the tip of my pointer finger to beyond the end of my thumb! Picture to follow

obdoc

Reaction score
Window crack

Today's gift from the highway

Attachments

• image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stinks. Hope you don't have a heated shield.

On topic, does anyone know of a non-side railed rack? More of a flat rack for the LR4? I have a factory roof racks, etc for my other trucks but for the 4, I feel all I really need is a platform to strap anything to as needed and keep the truck low profile.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635