rust issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garnerdog

Reaction score
Having a clapped out '65 series IIa in my garage, i am well aware of rust issues in Land Rovers. My new Discovery II (2000 model with 54,000 miles) originally came from Michigan (I am in Mississippi). It has some beginnings of surface rust in unusual places (like on welds inside the body behind the rear tail lights. I plan to wire brush the frame, paint with rust converter and then do Por 15. What advice does anyone have on what i should check and treat? I don't believe any permanent damage has been done, but need to nip it in the bud.

Thanks Steven G.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check all body seams... door seams, do to disimaliar metals they tend to rust in any area that the alluminum and steel meet.

garnerdog

Reaction score
Perhaps most of what i am seeing is due to this dissimiliar metals issue (perhaps combined with salt) some areas look brand new, but odd ones, like a steel bar that bolts to the inside of the quarter panel on the passenger side under the dash, has some rust. Does anyone know what body panels may be steel and what are aluminum?

thanks steven g.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Aluminum:
D1 all exterior panels except the roof.

D2 all exteriro panels

All interior panels on both are steel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.