Screaming Banshees Under The Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lemontin

Reaction score
Wow, I have and issue that sounds expensive..!!!

So I'm driving along and I hear what sounds like banshees from hell coming from under the hood. It disappeared quick and I wasn't sure what to think.

A few days later, same thing. And again over the past few days.

Things I've noticed..

This noise is not affected by RPM or Speed. It's happened at all speeds including stopped without change in pitch or intensity
No warning lights or gauges are affected (they all work).
No decrease in engine performance.

It's coming from under the hood and does not seem to be just a belt squealing. All the belts were replaced last Fall and none appear to be worn. Plus, it's WAY too loud to be a belt slipping.

My first thought was the power steering as the fluid looked like a strawberry milkshake inside, I changed that and checked the belt and it had no effect on the noise. It did however fix the problem I was having with the steering jerking as I took corners.

And help is appreciated..

Thanks

92 Classic...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance it is the Fan Clutch going bad?

Lemontin

Reaction score
Anything is possible at this point. It's still too internmittent for me to get a handle on. But it's never happened at a time when I could actually open the hood.

The first time I heard it I was thinking it almost sounded like something under extremely high pressure releasing it through a bad valve. Or, it kind of sounds like a power steering unit does if you crank the wheel real hard one way or the other and leave it there.. the sound is kind of like that,, only 10 times louder.

It's unbelievably loud but probably is some unit or clutch going out. But I keep thinking if it was that wouldn't the engine RPM cause some change in the pitch or velocity ? Standing still or going 60 the sound (intensity and pitch) is the same and so is the volume.

I still haven't ruled out the P steering unit, then again, I haven't ruled anything out.
I am totally clueless here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM