Seafoam word of caution...maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MToomey

I might be an idiot, and if I am, I will resign my status of "Roverito", but here goes. I was attempting to do the Seafoam deal. I was never able to remove the coolant hose, the hose the picture in the "Seafoam" thread depicts as the one to remove and to siphon the Seafoam into...

Anyways. Hose never came off. When I went to drive away, light grey and sweet smelling smoke filled my engine compartment. I stopped and turned off the ol' Disco. Damndest thing - emergency blinkers went on automatically and would not shut off, engine would turn over but not start.

Tow to the dealership...four days worth of waiting, and here's what Mel just told me:

$125.00 for a new battery
$230.00 for a new MAF sensor
$900.00 for a new thingamajig that the coolant hose sits on.

Mel explained the hose sits on a male end of a receptor. The receptor actually sits inside the vehicle (outside of the engine compartment). This receptor has two ******* on them. These ******* are "very fragile", as Mel put it, and need replaced, in turn the whole damned thingamajig needs replaced. Something about the dashboard being removed to get to the thingamajig and so on x $100 for labor = ouch.

Lesson learnt. No more fooling with hoses that aren't to be fooled with. If doing any work on these hoses, be very careful.

Question: as stated above, Mel told me these ******* are very fragile. Why would LR put something in the engine compartment that was "very fragile"?

Any advice concerning this matter WOULD be highly appreciated.

2001 Disco II. 48000 miles. K&N Air Filter. 2" OME lift.

I want to cry.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
please forgive me if I sound off.... what picture did you use that indicated that you needed to remove a coolant hose to put the seafoam in?

Seafoam should go into gas tank, intake plenium hose off of the drivers side valve cover into the intake, and the into oil.

please reference the pic that shows the coolant hose so we can post a NO don't do this in the post.

As far as fragile in the engine compartment... I haven't heard of anything fragile except the MAF sensor Can you provide a pic of this expensive fragile part so I can note never to mess with...

thanks in advance,

D

discomike

SeaFoam

Joey,
I am sorry, but that is too funny for words and also a shame it happened.
You are going at the whole SesFoam process wrong if you want to get the full benefit of the additive.
I tell people to buy 3 cans, one for the fuel tank, one for the engine oil in the crank case and one that you run thru the engine intake manifold, thru a vaccum line.
If you want to give it a try, lets talk some more. By the way, the stuff really works and is worth the 1 hour process to due it.
Mike J.
99 DII

D

discomike

Yes it is me and boy is that a long story, bottom line, got real sick and out of sorts for the the last 10 months, got out of the hospital last week after getting a pacemaker to help keep me running happier.
Mike J.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

I didn't write the first post, and I thought I put the locations down in my response, although I didn't mention 3 cans, I did state where they should go.

Forgive me if I sound off, long day, headache.... haven't drivin my Disco today.... dang sounds like a song...

D

discomike

So I take it you got past the smoke stage, if not, you are still going to be in for a thrill.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Mike, glad to hear you're well again :biggrin:

D

discomike

Thanks Moose,
Hey I am still tragging it alittle but getting it back, how you been, truck running OK?
Mike J.

A

avick

Mike:

Awesome to hear you are back!!!!!!! :biggrin: God speed, and hopefully this guy gets the Seafoam trick figured out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635