Service Engine Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.obd2.com

With this OBDII reader, you download the software from this site, purchase the activation code and any connections you need to hook it up to your vehicle, and you are ready. Just need a laptop to run the program in the car, or a garage with a computer nearby. It's pretty easy to use. Not the very best interface, fairly simple, but it has a lot of features. You can record all the outputs of the Discovery for any length of time--from cold startup to driving in town or on the freeway--and all parameters are recorded. RPM, coolant temp, MAF flow, O2 sensor readouts, VSS, and quite a few others I can't recall right now. Total cost is around $120-160 depending on cables ordered with the program. Free updates.

The only problem I am having is that I haven't figured out how to have the program interrogate the Disco often enough to make some of the graphs really smooth(ie O2 sensor readouts). I am sure it is possible, just haven't called the guy to inquire. If you decide to look at this one, I would ask about that.

Hope This Helps.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and you can, of course, reset all Check Engine Light codes.

96d1

Just a couple comments / notes to multiple users logged in . . .

OBD readers on sale at Checkers / Autozone. Run cycles of stop, start, run, city and highway to record all data needed to decide what is wrong.

D1 is reported to have some bad metallurgy in the valves and guides, which causes symptoms of bucking or very poor acceleration if one or more valves hangs up. Valve job time, with NEW metal composition for ALL valves.

Yeah, this is a $3k or so job for a shop, hardly for a backyard mechanic, although it IS possible, if the valve seats etc are machined professionally.

Seafoam wont fix this, nor will Slick 50 or other chemical jobs.

OBD codes include random misfires and multiple cyl misfires.

When do YOU replace MAF based on what readings for a 96 Disco I ??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo