Shocks/ Wheels wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

ashley

Team,

My 97 disco hits bumps in the road and the from end sounds like I hit a wall and the stearing wheel shakes. (Feels likt the front wheels wobble on bumps.

Shocks?

Big Ash

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might need new front shocks and possibly a new steering stabilizer. Do you feel like you lose control for a second when you hit bumps?

A

ashley

Shakes

Yes!!! It really feels like I cannot control for a few seconds!!

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then it is probably the steering stabilizer. That is a 1 on difficulty to fix. Buy an OME one. They are pretty inexpensive. It is the shock looking thing that goes horizontal across the bottom of the rover (one of the lowest points on a D1). Good luck Ashley.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the front shocks probably also need replacement. How many miles do you have on them? Do you off-road much? Do they look like they have been replaced? This will take care of the the bumps feeling like you are hitting curbs at 50 mph.

D

disco1

My guess is that they are original, probably "Woodhead's" and you don't need to put a lot of miles/kilometres on them before they turn to s..t!

A

ashley

More?

Thanks Team, I did call around to find a local shop to replace shocks and STABLEIZER!! tHAT BEING SAID ALL LOCAL NAMED SHOPS DID NOT CARY SHOCKS OR STABLELIZER. I DID BY TWO FRONT shocks from Napa today for $35 each?? Sound to real to be true??
The local 4x4 shop can put them on but they all ask if the 97 disco has air bag/lifter for the shocks?

HELP/

D

discomike

Do your self a favor and return those Napa shocks. You are trying to correct the shakes and cheap shocks won't get it done. Use only Bilstein or OME shocks and stablizers and there are other things you will still need to look at, like the preload on your hubs, tie road ends and all steering componets, any of the if bad will drive even good shocks crazy.
Mike J.

A

ashley

I got the new stableizer and it stoped for a week but now it started again??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM