Shocks/ Wheels wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And check the panhard rod bushings. Can cause quite the tremors (I thought my truck was going through detox! :biggrin:) and is easy to fix.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie rod ends

Same steering issues. No noise but when I hit bumps at highway speed steering goes haywire. Already replaced shocks, steering damper and front springs. But I checked under the truck today and two of the tie rod ends were leaking grease and had a ton of play in them. The others seemed ok but I figured I should replace them all. I was also going to put in new rear springs. Would that help?

I was going to order new tie rod ends for my 97 Disco SE7 but I was not sure whether I need right or left handed threads. British Atlantic has a kit with 3 right handed and 1 left handed ends. Is this what I need?

Kit includes the following components:
# Product ID Description Qty.
RTC5870
TIE ROD END - BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY - LEFT HAND THREAD 1 $39.95
RTC5869
BALL JOINT TIE ROD END RIGHT HAND THREAD 3 $119.85
Total Value: $159.80
Your Cost: $139.95
You Save: $19.85

Also, has anyone noticed how flimsy the original front springs seem. When I took the old one out I could push them down pretty easily, particularly the passenger side spring. The new ones I installed seemed 10 times as strong.

Thanks,

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bushings it is.

What about tire balance? I read that that could cause uncontrolled vibration too.

Yesterday, drove from Chicago to Cincinnati and back. (19mpg!!!!!). At any speed over 55, if I hit a big bump, the reverberation was cartoonish (the Disco Death Wobble). If I slowed down to 55, the shaking stopped. Also, if I gave a quick twist of the steering wheel back and forth as I went over the bump I was able to avoid becoming a tuning fork.

I'll replace the bushings but should I do anything to check the tire balances too?

Thanks

D

discoinjapan

I had the exact same problem when I bought my Disco 1. What I did was changed the bushings(All of them) and the tie rod ends. Then I bought new tires. It fixed the problem. If your tires still have some tread just get them ballanced(and rotated). You may also want to go ahead and do your tie rod ends. And yes the set that Atlantic Britsh has will fit.
If your going to do the job yourself I would suggest in purchasing a bushing extractor tool(if you dont have one). I did it with a long bolt and some strong washers, but it wasnt fun. And if you do the tie rod ends yourself have your Disco alligned after you finish.
Good Luck and have fun.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just rotated the tires front to back and checked the tie rod ends on the rod that is not the drag link and one is completely shot. I already replaced the ends on the drag link.

I'll order new bushings and two more tie rod ends and I am going for new tires in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice!

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie rod ends and bushings should arrive tomorrow. Today drove at highway speeds after rotating the tires and there was a big difference. No more Disco death wobble, but the tie rod ends and bushings need to be replaced anyway so I have my fun set up for the weekend.

Anyone have a recommeded tire brand? I have Michelins on there now. How about a good place to buy them?

Thanks,

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike: New tires did the trick. After changing bushings, shocks, springs and tie rod ends, the Disco death wobble got considerably worse. Every little bump on the freeway would set off the vibration. Tire tread looked ok but I read that tire imbalance could also be a problem. Tire guy said tires were starting to dry rot. New tires put on and it drives like a honey. Went on the highway for a test drive a few minites ago and the steering and suspension felt brand new. I purposefully hit every expansion joint on the road but I couldn't set the wobble off, not even a jiggle.

Needed the other stuff replaced anyway, I guess but now I have all new steering and front suspension parts.

I'm going to replace the steering damper because I'm sure it got beat to all heck then its on to whatever breaks down or fails tomorrow.

D

discoinjapan

Congrats,

I did all my work at once so it's kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what did it for me.
What do you say, about a month before something else will happen.
Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM