Short roof rails installation cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did the install of the extended roof rails. It was very easy. I just followed the same video everyone else watches.

Turiroc

Reaction score
Short Rails install

I know this thread is not very recent but I recently purchased a set of short rails for my dealer and would like to install them myself. The problem that I encountered is that when I remove the original strip on the roof of the car and replace it with the rails, they do not completely tightened. They have a wiggle to it and a small space below them.

I returned to the dealer and asked the tech that installs them and he says he installs them over the existing strip and only cuts the back few inches.

Has anyone had this issue? Are your rails attached over the existing strips or in lieu of them?

Turiroc

Reaction score
I know this thread is not very recent but I recently purchased a set of short rails for my dealer and would like to install them myself. The problem that I encountered is that when I remove the original strip on the roof of the car and replace it with the rails, they do not completely tightened. They have a wiggle to it and a small space below them.

I returned to the dealer and asked the tech that installs them and he says he installs them over the existing strip and only cuts the back few inches.

Has anyone had this issue? Are your rails attached over the existing strips or in lieu of them?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The instructions tell you to cut the strip. I cut the strip on mine. If you need the instructions I can e-mail them to you in PDF form. Just PM me your e-mail address.

Do you have the right hardware for mounting the rails? You should have a spacer/washer that goes between the rail and the mounting screw hole. The rail should not be flat against your glass roof as it will crack the glass.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Turiroc

Reaction score
Thanks, PM Sent.

I do have the spacers but even then, there was a wiggle. I tightened them as much as possible. What seemed very strange is that installation guides that I have seen as well as videos on Youtube all show the original strip coming out and the rails replace it. However, my dealer installs it over the strip. Says he's done it 100's of times!!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, PM Sent.

I do have the spacers but even then, there was a wiggle. I tightened them as much as possible. What seemed very strange is that installation guides that I have seen as well as videos on Youtube all show the original strip coming out and the rails replace it. However, my dealer installs it over the strip. Says he's done it 100's of times!!

Sent you the PDF.

This seems like the lazy profit way out of the situation. But, sure, if it works it works.

Not sure why you have a wiggle. I tightened mine down nice and snug and there is very little movement from them. I can grab on them and pull myself up with very little give from the rail.

sadler

Reaction score
We just ordered the Landrover short rail bars to fit ourselves - only to discover we have the wrong bolts in the roof to fit them too - more drilling needed!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72