Should I buy a used 2006 LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mansoor757

Reaction score
Im thinking about purchasing this:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5378117933.html
It has 90k miles and was owned by a mechanic. The guy said he would be willing to take about 8k. I am also considering buying a GX470 2004 with 140k miles but well maintained? Which should I go with? Fuel economy doesnt really matter to me since gas is cheap now but which car will cost more money in the long run with maintenance and servicing, etc..? The reviews for the 2006 LR3 seem decent and I prefer the LR3. I have never owned a Land Rover before. I also live in the Chicago area, where it snows in the winter a lot.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
Not many pics to go on.

I love my 06 LR3 HSE! It has 90k miles and I bought it with 79k or so miles. I would still have an independent Rover mech inspect it.

mansoor757

Reaction score
Not many pics to go on.

I love my 06 LR3 HSE! It has 90k miles and I bought it with 79k or so miles. I would still have an independent Rover mech inspect it.

Do you know of any independent land rover mechanics in the chicago area? I dont know any :/
And how is the cost to own the land rover lr3? how much for basic stuff like oil changes, etc..? And would you recommend getting it serviced and maintained by the dealer or by a third party mechanic?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The good news is that at 90k miles, the first round of stuff to go has probably been taken care of. Find out what all has been done, the more the better. Compressor, control arms, wheel bearings are common - although not terribly expensive. I changed my oil today for $45. Find a good third party mechanic and you're good to go. Or figure it out yourself and save more. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the 3 over the GX.

Silmarillion

Reaction score
I have had 1 thing break - speed sensor (while on vacation of course) $30 part that I was able to diagnose (thanks IID tool!). I didn't have any tools and was on vacation, so it cost $200.

Oil change is well under $100.

I have not really serviced it yet. I read everywhere that it is very important. I would use an independent mechanic that specializes in Land Rover.

Google Land Rover Chicago and I'm sure you will find someone. Others may chime in here also.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to get the LR3. I purchased my 2006 about 3 years ago with 90,000 miles for $17,000 and its been pretty amazing. At $8,000 its a steal. I would definitely ask about when the battery was changed, (These trucks needs juice or you'll get random faults) ask if there are any suspension faults and I would recommend getting a ob2 gap tool if you plan on working on the truck yourself. My 2 cents :) or the Terra Firma i930 by icarsoft, cheaper and made to diagnose Landrover/Jaguar cars specific.
My only problems with the truck so far was I needed a new front suspension valve block, changed out myself, a new battery, brake switch, $15.00 part, 10 minute fix, I had a crack on the seam of my windshield water bottle which I fixed using a soldering iron. I also changed out all my rotors and brakes, thinner tires but those are wear and tear items that don't really count.The LR3 might have some random quirks here and there but the forums have most of the answers to fix them. If your mechanically inclined you won't have any problems tackling the problems. Pic on left when I first got the truck, pic on right current.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6414.jpg
    IMG_6414.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about purchasing this:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5378117933.html
It has 90k miles and was owned by a mechanic. The guy said he would be willing to take about 8k. I am also considering buying a GX470 2004 with 140k miles but well maintained? Which should I go with? Fuel economy doesnt really matter to me since gas is cheap now but which car will cost more money in the long run with maintenance and servicing, etc..? The reviews for the 2006 LR3 seem decent and I prefer the LR3. I have never owned a Land Rover before. I also live in the Chicago area, where it snows in the winter a lot.

Hey I just noticed the truck your looking at is a 6 cylinder, I would not purchase it and go for the LR3 V8.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to have a V8 for you, like Mx above, it's the best color! AND a V8. PM me if interested. The good news is that everything that's ever been wrong with it is all documented here!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really really does. By far my favorite color. Especially with the black fenders and mirrors. I hate the new body matched everything on the LR4s

I have debated keeping it just because I like looking at it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72