Should I buy a used 2006 LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no-pistons

Reaction score
I have 2006 LR3 and I absolutely love it, however if I could go back in time I would never buy such a piece of **** haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always get a 2004 - Discovery 2, comes with locking cdl, easier to work on, and cheaper. Under $6,000 for a good one.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...D2 has just as many problems as an LR3, if not more.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the land rover cost more to own than the gx470? Including the 3k premium just for purchasing the gx470 over the lr3. Most gx470's used start at 11k.

Without really researching this I'd say "yes." However, you are comparing prices for a 90k mile Rover and a 140k mile GX. If they were both in the same mileage ballpark and the delta in cost was still about $3k then it would be a no-brainer. I don't have knowledge of how the GX holds up over the long-term. Also, the LR3 you are interested in...have the diffs been attended to? Are the bushings due for replacement? What about the EAS compressor? That could be $6k - $10k right there.

I'm not trying to scare you; just want to give you good advice and allow you to ask the right questions going in.

mansoor757

Reaction score
Without really researching this I'd say "yes." However, you are comparing prices for a 90k mile Rover and a 140k mile GX. If they were both in the same mileage ballpark and the delta in cost was still about $3k then it would be a no-brainer. I don't have knowledge of how the GX holds up over the long-term. Also, the LR3 you are interested in...have the diffs been attended to? Are the bushings due for replacement? What about the EAS compressor? That could be $6k - $10k right there.

I'm not trying to scare you; just want to give you good advice and allow you to ask the right questions going in.

Thanks for the advice. Ill ask him. He did tell me that the time, alternator, battery, and suspension are all new.

mansoor757

Reaction score

Also said the compressor was new.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...D2 has just as many problems as an LR3, if not more.

Yes that's true but it doesn't have all the electronics and suspension problems the LR3 has. That's if you get a Disco 2 without air suspension. Also most Indy mechanics now know the Disco 2 inside and out as oppose to our LR3's that is starting to show more and more in shops.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"All the electronics and suspension problems?" Such as? Let's be clear, a ton of these issues are because LR3s are rounding the 100k mark and compressors and shocks don't last forever OR owners can't seem to keep their interiors dry. Wet floorboards or center consoles...you can read about that all day long on forums. Or owners chillin' with a fault light on for a month and then wondering what is going on when a downstream effect rears up. I've been through a compressor or two myself, after 10.5 years of ownership and now with my new AMK should be good to go. I also had diffs replaced (under warranty). Interestingly, the rear latch and EPB Actuator, once replaced, seem to be better than the original parts even though they were not revised significantly. No electronic issues and any EAS issues, besides the aforementioned compressor, were self-inflicted.

I'm not saying the LR3 is perfect, clearly, since I endorsed the Lexus. I just think it's better than a Disco for reliability. Discos have their own set of issues. Heads, three amigos, etc...

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm referring to brake switches, rear brake light bulbs if you don't use genuine you can get a suspension fault, when one thing goes the truck shuts down for safety reasons, you have a epb which causes problems, rear hatch latch can go, problems with the front and rear diffs, compressors burn out, water ingress through the a pillar cause corrosion to wires under the sills, warping cowl, suspension faults caused by steering angle being off or the steering collar sleeve moving, even with all these faults I love my LR3, and I'm lucky to say that I haven't had to change a compressor yet, just a front valve block, and no major faults. I will be soon changing out my control arms. I also own a Disco 2 and its much easier to work on IMO. To own a Landrover its a hate love relationship :)

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 5 different rovers with air suspensions, well 6 but one was just a lease. And I have never replaced a compressor, or had any problems with the suspension - unless the control arms are considered suspension. Of the things that Mx mentioned, I've only had one case of water through the cowl and one case of EPB blues.

I've definitely had more problems with the older RR's. I tend to think of them as being more akin to discovery 2s as their underpinnings are more similar. Had a tranny go at 60,000 miles, had a top end job done at 70,000 miles, had a $1000 heater core O-Ring replaced. So I think they are simpler in terms of electronics but none of those things had any business breaking, and were all terribly expensive. I spent more on the top engine rebuild alone than I spent on my LR3 in 8 years of ownership. All that said, I really like older disco's a ton. They are the last really true old school trucks of the lineup to make it to the U.S. Can't help it, I still love solid axles!

Is it more expensive and fragile than a 'toyota' GX? Sure. But if most of the first 100,000 miles problems have been fixed, than you should be able to sail up to the Gx's 140,000 miles pretty cheaply. If spending 30-50% (est?) more to fix it is an absolutely huge concern, then maybe the LR isn't the right choice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM