Should I contact Land Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewman75

Reaction score
Hi All,
Have a question to pose and would welcome some feedback. I will start with the disclaimer that I am by no means a guru when it comes to the mechanical aspects of my Rover or any vehicle for that manner. So anyway, I bought my '06 LR3 from a Rover dealership about 14 months ago and it was supposedly a CPO "certified" used that had been thoroughly checked out (the 140 point inspection) and of course certified. Well, the last couple weeks I have been noticing some noises that I could only describe as creaking (sort of like when you sit on an old couch or bed) when I get in or out of the car. Additionally, when I first drive off from a cold stop, there is a lot of squeeling as well. I figured that the first issue was probably suspension related and the second could be a park break release issue. So I took it to the dealer today. Turns out the creaking was a control arm/bushings issue covered under warrantly. No biggie, its covered. However, they do suspect brake or park brake issues for the squeeling. So the guy at the dealership calls and starts asking me when I myself had put aftermarket brakes on, or had someone else do it. Of course this is news to me as the same brakes are on there as when I bought it. Apparently first, the front passenger brake sensor isn't even there and one of the rear ones was in his words "wrapped around" something in the undercarraige of the car and not connected at all. Yet somehow because it was grounded (?) the sensor was not being set off? Again, not a mechanical guy, so this is a bit greek to me as to how the sensor wouldn't be constantly illuminated when I have one missing and another not even connected. Apparently the rear breaks are aftermarket and they suspect that the rotors probably are too. So they didn't pressure me or anything but said it would probably be wise considering the state of the sensor and obviously clumsy work to pull everything apart and double check the work to make sure everything is koshar and properly assembled and connected back there as this could maybe be the root of some issues I have been experiencing for a bit now. I agreed and told them to do what they have to do, of course not covered under warranty and to the tune of over $500.

I should note that I take it to a dealer other then the one I purchased at because it is much much closer and they have treated me well and always been very fair. And this dealer is where the car is and will have the work done. So my question to anyone that would like to provide some input... should this not have been easily discovered during the certification process at the dealership where I purchased? The guy at the current dealership tried very hard not to throw that dealership under the bus, but seemed rather incredulous that they wouldn't spot something so obvious. Should they also have noted that it had aftermarket breaks? I specifically asked them at time of purchase about break wear since the car had about 26K miles. Nothing was disclosed and he left me with the impression that everything was original LR parts. Would I be wise to contact Land Rover about this and look for some form of re-imbursement? Or do I call that dealer. . If so, is there a specific number that anyone knows of other then the numbers on the Land Rover site that I would call about this? Or is it on me that I didn't put it up on a lift and inspect before I signed on the dotted line. I guess I just put too much faith in the 140 point certification. Thoughts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it back where you purchased it and tell them you want factory brakes and new rotors and a CPO check done and everything else fix they find. Dont pay a dime.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they CPO Lr3...brakes, tires, battery, etc have to meet specific requirements or they must be replaced. When I bought my CPO they had just replaced all tires, battery and brakes. So I knew driving out everything was new. They even showed me the printout.

However my experience shopping for a Mercedes for the wife would have me question everything regarding certified. I had 2 dealers tell me every car they sell gets the same inspection its just whether they sell the warranty with the car as to being certified. But yes your car should go back to the dealer you bought it from. LRNA is an option after you attempt to get it taken care of but it's a PIA dealing with LRNA. Good luck!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others. You need to try and solve the problem with the dealer first. Then if you don't get satisfactory results you can try LRNA. Since you already gave the second dealer the go ahead with the repairs, my guess is you won't get very far with the first dealer since you didn't give them the opportunity to correct the problems. Which sound very minor to me. I wouldn't sweat aftermarket parts as they are manufactured to a certain standard anyway, infact there are many better aftermarket options for brakes.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...when I first drive off from a cold stop, there is a lot of squeeling ... they do suspect brake or park brake issues for the squeeling ... I agreed and told them to do what they have to do, of course not covered under warranty and to the tune of over $500
EPB squeal is a common symptom of a known issue. Be careful about having them try to charge you if the problem is with the EPB, since you have a warranty and it would be a covered item.
...Apparently first, the front passenger brake sensor isn't even there and one of the rear ones was in his words "wrapped around" something in the undercarraige .
FYI, there is only one sensor in front and one in rear (left front, right rear)

Dealerships can shortcut (intentionally or not) the CPO process. A friend recently bought a CPO Boxter, and just found out that the wrong size tires are installed - after getting a bubble in one of the sidewalls.

As others have stated, definitely contact the original dealer and get a service history on the vehicle, along with a copy of the CPO checklist. You bought it at 26K miles, which is a bit early for brake replacement, but perhaps it was just low enough that the dealership had to replace them for CPO certification.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some Thoughts

I've bought a couple CPO Land Rovers over the years and I totally see where you're coming from. Some dealers are great at CPO certification, others do nothing and just mark the trucks up the commensurate 3-5K for "CPO". I think your purchasing dealer must have skimped (ie they just didnt do a thorough inspection).

My advice -- take the truck back to the dealer you bought it from (or have it towed there, whatever). Be nice. Tell them it is unacceptable. And tell them what has gone down. Tell them you want new brakes ASAP, or honestly, tell them to split the cost with you since its been 14 months.

One thing to think about.. Aftermarket "brakes" are not a horrible thing, even though Land Rover dealers (and others) demonize such things. "ooh lord you have aftermarket pads on your land rover its unsafe" -- NOT the case. But the whole thing with the brake pad sensors not being connected is pretty slack ass to be honest... they are 20 dollar parts and this would have been caught had they done a proper CPO inspection. That said, even if the brake pad sensors are not connected, your truck can be 100% perfectly safe to drive, whether pads and rotors are stock or aftermarket. But warranty coverage on non factory components is a problem.

The sensors are just sensors to let owners know when pads get low. They dont affect ABS, traction control or anything else. They must be replaced when they are "triggered" because they are triggered by the sensor wearing when the pad is low. So, someone saved 40 bucks by not replacing them at one point.

I bought a CPO 2003 Disco 2 in 2004 with 20K miles on it. My wife drove it 4 thousand miles and the pads in the front were down to the rotors, grinding. I went back to the Land Rover dealer and they said "not covered' and i pointed at the CPO booklet that said that brakes were inspected and at least 75% of brake pad life must be there to become a CPO vehicle, among all the other items. And asked how in the heck 4K miles of driving (it was actually 3800 something miles) could go through 75% of brake pads. They were ***** about it but replaced the brake pads and rotors.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more note/question: can you clarify the "squeel" you are identifying as being from the EPB? If it's the same actuator issue I (and others) ran into, it's more like a shriek and it's loud and unmistakable...horrifying almost.

Same thing?

drewman75

Reaction score
Hi All,
So sorry. I must have forgot to set email notification and didn't realize it. So when I didn't get notification I figured there were no responses. My apologies. Thanks so much for all the input. So I'll start by giving some info on what the dealer diagnosed as the issues. The dealer said the creaking noise was a bushings issue up front and those were replaced under extended warranty.

Houm_WA, my squeeling sounds like it was more low-key then what you described. Definitely noticable to me, but nothing very loud. When the dealer pulled everything apart to check the break assembly, they said some things weren't completely done properly, but that it was nothing that would have caused permanent damage? But they believe that my persistent squeeling was most likely a result of that. They re-assembled and I haven't heard anything since I picked it up.

Unfortunately, as someone mentioned, I did tell the current dealer just to take care of everything. Normally I would have told them to hold off and taken it back to the original dealer. But we have been on baby watch for a couple weeks and I just wanted it squared since once the new one comes, my time is going to be limited. In retrospect, since the baby hasn't come yet, I probably had the time to do it. I suppose hindsight is 20/20 though. :)

I do plan to try to get to the dealership this week and chat them up. I tried to reach someone by phone, but it just wasn't working. So as long as the little new one holds out a bit longer, I'll head out there. I don't have a problem with the aftermarket parts. I am more concerned about what else they may not have checked and what else could go wrong down the road that could cost me a lot of money and headache. So I think I am going to take yrbender's idea and ask that they re-cert it or something to that affect.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak