Should you hear any air release when you turn the truck off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I turn the truck off and get out I hear a swoosh of air that sounds like its coming from the driver side rear suspension. Not sure if its a leak or just normall process.

Thanks

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is normal operation. The air suspension is re-leveling about 30-45 seconds after you turn off the ignition.

I only wish that it was smart enough to wait if there is still a door open. Too many times, my kid is still getting out of the back when it does this.

Edit:

After much discussion in this thread, I contacted the dealership. They spoke with Field Engineering and reported back "EAS is working as designed. Vehicle will lower in small increments with key off and door opened/closed".

Last edited:

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. Glad not to take a trip to the dealer today

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only wish that it was smart enough to wait if there is still a door open. Too many times, my kid is still getting out of the back when it does this.

That's not normal, is it? As long as any of the side doors are open the car should freeze any suspension adjustments, until the doors are shut (the tailgate is a different story.) My Sport often self levels at the very moment the doors are closed - I never noticed it doing so when they are still open. I'd get that checked if I were you.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I turn the truck off and get out I hear a swoosh of air that sounds like its coming from the driver side rear suspension. Not sure if its a leak or just normall process.

Thanks

I beleve it is normal. Do you ever get a msg from your computer about the compressor?
The brain will tell you if the compressor is running to much.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passenger doors should stop the self leveling, until they are closed, at least they do in my truck..

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleve it is normal. Do you ever get a msg from your computer about the compressor?
The brain will tell you if the compressor is running to much.

Never got a message I have been checking thinking its going to appear any day

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not normal, is it? As long as any of the side doors are open the car should freeze any suspension adjustments, until the doors are shut ...

The passenger doors should stop the self leveling, until they are closed, at least they do in my truck..
What year are your LR3s? My vehicle self levels with the doors open, has done this from day 1. Other owners reported the same, but perhaps it is a 2005 thing.

To clarify, you cannot use the manual ride height control with a door open. The interlock prevents that. But I definately self level with doors or tailgate open after turning off the vehicle, which sometimes is a very unwelcome suprise as you can imagine.

Can anyone else confirm?

Last edited:

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With our 2006, I have noticed the compressor on with the driver's side rear door open after loading my daughter into her seat (can't image a 2 year old weighs that much!); obviously the truck is already on at the time. I don't actually notice the truck raising, so I suspect the movement is minimal at best....

I definitely do notice that the manual raise/lower stops as soon as a door is opened.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the tailgate open, yes. With the doors open the suspensions should not move, period. I can see how that could be a hazard. I have a MY06 Range Rover Sport, a virtual clone of the LR3 in that respect. Here is a section of the workshop manual that explains it (it's off a 2006 RRS manual, but I bet it's the same on the LR3's):

Door Open Functionality
If one or more of the vehicle doors are opened during a height change when the vehicle is stationary, the air suspension control module will restrict further height change. The door open signal is transmitted by the CJB on the high speed CAN bus and received by the air suspension control module. This keeps the vehicle level to the set height when a door opens to allow for changes in loading conditions.

A hardwired door status signal is also transmitted from the CJB to the air suspension control module. This signal provides door status information when the high speed CAN bus is off, i.e.; during periodic re-levelling.

The lamp on the air suspension switch for the target mode height will remain illuminated and the raising or lowering lamp will flash.

If all of the doors are closed within 90 seconds, the height change will resume. If the 90 second period is exceeded and all of the doors are not closed, the height change will be cancelled. The mode lamps showing the previously selected height and the target height will be illuminated. The mode height change can be reselected by operating the switch, however, if the vehicle is driven at speed of more than 5 mph (8 km/h) the control module will continue to raise or lower the vehicle to the target mode height.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo