smelling coolant after driving, no visible leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

when my wife pulls into the garage, we are smelling coolant. Nothing on the garage floor, no visible leaks around radiator, overflow, coolant lines, etc. Nothing. Just the sweet smell of coolant.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
Crossover pipe is cracked. Under manifold. Seeps at first. Smells like coolant when you pop hood. Can turn into a BIG leak.

Work is not hard at all to R&R. Got to remove manifold, some electrical connections, coolant lines, fill and bleed.

Mine has the spigots that go into the engine nearly completely severed with only the o-rings and bolt tension keeping it from leaking big time. More info here: http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/heavy-coolant-leak-failure.28600/
screenshot_2016-09-24-09-13-34-1-png.6528

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crossover pipe is cracked. Under manifold. Seeps at first. Smells like coolant when you pop hood. Can turn into a BIG leak.

Work is not hard at all to R&R. Got to remove manifold, some electrical connections, coolant lines, fill and bleed.

Mine has the spigots that go into the engine nearly completely severed with only the o-rings and bolt tension keeping it from leaking big time. More info here: http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/heavy-coolant-leak-failure.28600/
screenshot_2016-09-24-09-13-34-1-png.6528

I'll take it to the dealership. It's still under warranty. Is this a known issue? Thanks for your insight.

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
I'll take it to the dealership. It's still under warranty. Is this a known issue? Thanks for your insight.

Common enough that it is well known. Happens to Jags too. Don't delay since if it fails catastrophically it will lead to an overheat if you run it. Could also be other sources as well....leaky water-pump, other cracked brittle plastic parts. But my first spot to look would be here.

BGLR4

Reaction score
Hi - i had the same at about 65k on my 2010 LR4 - the smell no puddle. About a month or so later see a bit of coolant on the garage floor - turned out to be that i needed the water pump replaced - not a biggie.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, pump and crossover pipes at the same time and now it's running perfect with 175,000 mi.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9