Snow driving tip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us facing snow put some rain-x on your head and fog lights to help keep them clean. Works great with mud too.

lfr

Reaction score
I never drive without rain x its the best

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK got this tip in the mountain today. I have never done this, but the tip is spray some WD-40 in the wheel well to stop snow accumulation. I will try it this week and let you know. It seems to make sense.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK got this tip in the mountain today. I have never done this, but the tip is spray some WD-40 in the wheel well to stop snow accumulation. I will try it this week and let you know. It seems to make sense.
Good idea - next trip to Breck I'll give that a go.

One other potential tip - I'm having our General Grabber AT2s "siped" tomorrow at Discount Tire. It is suppose to help with ice braking (more edges biting the ice) - we'll see if it does or not. For $10/tire, I figured it was worth a shot (I just got my snow tires on the BMW and they have tons of "sipes" from the factory, so I figured why not - I'll give it a go). I'll post up my experience when we get some ice.

-Rich

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea - next trip to Breck I'll give that a go.

One other potential tip - I'm having our General Grabber AT2s "siped" tomorrow at Discount Tire. It is suppose to help with ice braking (more edges biting the ice) - we'll see if it does or not. For $10/tire, I figured it was worth a shot (I just got my snow tires on the BMW and they have tons of "sipes" from the factory, so I figured why not - I'll give it a go). I'll post up my experience when we get some ice.

-Rich

Personally, I think Discount's tire siping is a load. Tread design is scientific, not universal. Sipes of the right kind can do good, as on a winter tire, but adding sipes won't make your AT2s into winter tires as winter tire compounds are much different (softer, compliant in cold), for one reason. Performance in different conditions is probably more explained by the ratio of tread blocks to voids, their arrangements and the compounds that follow many hours of engineering and testing than from a few hundred small cuts added to those black round things that most drivers don't even notice until one goes flat. If I made tires, I would dishonor any warranty claim on a siped tire. Siping design is also one size for all, and I assure you that Discount conducted no studies to find out whether its sipe pattern will not actually weaken a tread block under stress on all tires to which it is applied, or that siping actually improved your AT2s (PS2s, TripleTreads, Potenzas, etc.). Bottom line for me is that if sipes were universally beneficial and DT can do it so profitably for just $10 per tire, imagine that it would cost tire makers nothing to add them to their molds or manufacturing processes -- yet not one company does so to gain a marketing advantage.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think Discount's tire siping is a load. Tread design is scientific, not universal. Sipes of the right kind can do good, as on a winter tire, but adding sipes won't make your AT2s into winter tires as winter tire compounds are much different (softer, compliant in cold), for one reason. Performance in different conditions is probably more explained by the ratio of tread blocks to voids, their arrangements and the compounds that follow many hours of engineering and testing than from a few hundred small cuts added to those black round things that most drivers don't even notice until one goes flat. If I made tires, I would dishonor any warranty claim on a siped tire. Siping design is also one size for all, and I assure you that Discount conducted no studies to find out whether its sipe pattern will not actually weaken a tread block under stress on all tires to which it is applied, or that siping actually improved your AT2s (PS2s, TripleTreads, Potenzas, etc.). Bottom line for me is that if sipes were universally beneficial and DT can do it so profitably for just $10 per tire, imagine that it would cost tire makers nothing to add them to their molds or manufacturing processes -- yet not one company does so to gain a marketing advantage.
Excellent argument, and you make a lot of sense.

But I'm still going to do it :biggrin:

Like I said, I agree with your comments, but the idea of additional surface area/edges (created by the sipes), also makes a great deal of sense. And I'm not really concerned if it voids the warranty on the tires. It is gamble, but if I weren't open to risks, I wouldn't be driving a Land Rover (or a German car for that matter).

Did I mention that I also just bought the water to gas conversion kit out of the back of Car & Driver? 100MPG out of our LR3 - guaranteed!!

Hahaha - totally joking on the water thing :biggrin: But I'm still siping my tires :cool:

-Rich

m5ccie

Reaction score
I've done it before (00 Ford Mustang) and it does help a bit. Don't expect miracles though. For those to happen, you need a true winter tire.

GL,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM