Someone explain how to use a recovery strap please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I don't know, my front recovery point held pretty good when I got hung up on this
irritating little waterfall. (Thanks again Nathan)

hey duckdive, did you install the ladder back there and where did you get the rear tire carrier? thanks.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, ladder was an easy install. Spare tire carrier is a Rasta 4x4 product distributed
by Brithish Pacific.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory has no installed recovery points, You need to hear that. There is a loop under the front and rear of the truck, but they are only to anchor your truck to a transporter and are not intended to be used as a recovery. They can be torn off and fly right thru your windshield when they break loose.

Mike, you know how much I appreciate your advice and participation on these forums, but when you stray from general tech, you are often incorrect, specifically with the LR3. The front and rear RECOVERY points are specifically made and designed by LR for that given task.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how you would use a "dowel":
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20145&hasJS=true

What's great about this cinch bone is it'll never knot up so tight you can't get it undone, but also, while keeping the same loop, you can push the cinch bone towards the other vehicle to take up any slack in the strap. This is great for areas where you have limited room to pull with.

J.D.

Great description and picture, thanks. So, this holds snug enough that you can take up slack and it won't slide up the line under tension?!?

Mike, you know how much I appreciate your advice and participation on these forums, but when you stray from general tech, you are often incorrect, specifically with the LR3. The front and rear RECOVERY points are specifically made and designed by LR for that given task.

Thank you. I was scratching my head on that one. As, I'm not about to get something new installed on my truck just so I can pull someone out of the sand. Could you imagine that trail convsersation? "I realize you're stuck, I'm sorry that I can't help you pull your $20K Jeep out as I've been told that my $55K LR does not have any suitable recovery points."
Phew!
(I have also used both front and rear points without any incident...but until now, I used a tow strap with hooks so I am grateful for this thread to correct me).

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you imagine that trail convsersation? "I realize you're stuck, I'm sorry that I can't help you pull your $20K Jeep out as I've been told that my $55K LR does not have any suitable recovery points."
Phew!

From some reason, the Discovery model did not have factory recovery points in the front, and only the trailer hitch in the rear.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great description and picture, thanks. So, this holds snug enough that you can take up slack and it won't slide up the line under tension?!?

yes, the tension on the line holds the joint tight and it won't slide. I can't believe someone hasn't come up with this simple idea a long time ago. I have used it to take up slack one time pulling a dead vehicle up a long steep slope. I was at the top pulling with another rig, but we could only go 15-20ft forward, so we'd take up the slack, and backup and do it over again.

J.D.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone who really wants to learn all the proper recovery procedures, do a Google search for Bill Burke, he has some great videos that everyone should see and practice.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, the tension on the line holds the joint tight and it won't slide. I can't believe someone hasn't come up with this simple idea a long time ago. I have used it to take up slack one time pulling a dead vehicle up a long steep slope. I was at the top pulling with another rig, but we could only go 15-20ft forward, so we'd take up the slack, and backup and do it over again.

J.D.

So, just to be clear, and I'm sorry if I'm sounding dim here, but, this picture below shows the same thing folks were talking about doing with a stick or dowel? Basically, I cut off a nice smooth broom handle and keep it in my truck I should be able to do the same thing...

115990d1228861228-tow-strap-cinch-bone-dynamicimage.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just to be clear, and I'm sorry if I'm sounding dim here, but, this picture below shows the same thing folks were talking about doing with a stick or dowel? Basically, I cut off a nice smooth broom handle and keep it in my truck I should be able to do the same thing...

Yes, you are correct, however, I'd prefer to use something that won't break. In my instance above, imagine if we used a dowel and it broke allowing the dead vehicle to roll down the hill 10ft before it took out all the stack. Not a good situation. Buy a 1" x 8" sch. 80 ****** and screw on two caps and that would be better than a broom stick.

J.D.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4