Spacers. Yes or No? If yes, then how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to drop my stock 19"s and go to 18"s. I was told I have the option of buying expensive 18"s that got perfectly ok my LR4,or it so ing spacers to fit wheels from a different vehicle.

Apparently some people swear against them. Others have told me this is what they did and they had no problem.

What's your opinion and why?
If you say yes, then what is a brand of spacers and wheels that had gotten great results on LR4s?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to drop my stock 19"s and go to 18"s. I was told I have the option of buying expensive 18"s that got perfectly ok my LR4,or it so ing spacers to fit wheels from a different vehicle.

Apparently some people swear against them. Others have told me this is what they did and they had no problem.

What's your opinion and why?
If you say yes, then what is a brand of spacers and wheels that had gotten great results on LR4s?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

See my response in your other thread. If you keep switching threads, it will be hard for people to keep up. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bora 1.25" spacers from Motorsporttech.

45K miles. No issues.

I'm actually thinking of running these with the Compomotives for a test fit of a true 35x12.5. My understanding is that is essentially what L8 did with the LR4 they have running that size. I took the angle grinder to my sliders last week to create additional room as well.

At that point I would be begging to re-gear the thing as well, though.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bora 1.25" spacers from Motorsporttech.

45K miles. No issues.

I'm actually thinking of running these with the Compomotives for a test fit of a true 35x12.5. My understanding is that is essentially what L8 did with the LR4 they have running that size. I took the angle grinder to my sliders last week to create additional room as well.

At that point I would be begging to re-gear the thing as well, though.

Yeah. Jonathan Hanson (co-founder of Overland Expo) wrote a freaking fantastic article in the Overland Expo West 2018 guide called "Don't overengineer it"where he discussed at length the issues of going too big on the wheels and then having impacts in braking (35" is 90% as efficient as 32"), gearing, mileage, and potentially high speed vehicle dynamics. I think those issues are highly UNDER rated by people jumping into the 32"+ range.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Jonathan Hanson (co-founder of Overland Expo) wrote a freaking fantastic article in the Overland Expo West 2018 guide called "Don't overengineer it"where he discussed at length the issues of going too big on the wheels and then having impacts in braking (35" is 90% as efficient as 32"), gearing, mileage, and potentially high speed vehicle dynamics. I think those issues are highly UNDER rated by people jumping into the 32"+ range.

I don't disagree, but I've got a dream of dragging this thing across the entire Rubicon.

A man's got to have a dream, doesn't he?

I know the Jeep Jamboree guys require a minimum of 35 to run with them on that track.

I can deal with tradeoffs because it's purely a recreational rig for me.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but I've got a dream of dragging this thing across the entire Rubicon.

A man's got to have a dream, doesn't he?

I know the Jeep Jamboree guys require a minimum of 35 to run with them on that track.

I can deal with tradeoffs because it's purely a recreational rig for me.

Funny you should say that. I literally read today on Scott Brady's ExPo forum post at: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ject-land-rover-discovery-4-lr4.87155/page-27

"The LR4 has to compare against the best overland platform from each manufacturer, as it is the best 4wd platform Land Rover NA currently sells. So it much compare against the Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, the Trail Edition 4Runner, the 200 Land Cruiser, the XTerra, the G-Wagon. In practice, the LR4 does compare and it is the reason that vehicle has been so rewarded by the automotive media. The way I have this vehicle modified, it is as capable of a RTW expedition as it is to cross the Rubicon Trail (which it would do without issue)."

Keep in mind, he was running Johnson rods, 33" tires, and the GAP IID Tool plus a lot of shaving/cutting to fit the tires.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you should say that. I literally read today on Scott Brady's ExPo forum post at: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ject-land-rover-discovery-4-lr4.87155/page-27

"The LR4 has to compare against the best overland platform from each manufacturer, as it is the best 4wd platform Land Rover NA currently sells. So it much compare against the Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, the Trail Edition 4Runner, the 200 Land Cruiser, the XTerra, the G-Wagon. In practice, the LR4 does compare and it is the reason that vehicle has been so rewarded by the automotive media. The way I have this vehicle modified, it is as capable of a RTW expedition as it is to cross the Rubicon Trail (which it would do without issue)."

Keep in mind, he was running Johnson rods, 33" tires, and the GAP IID Tool plus a lot of shaving/cutting to fit the tires.

Haha. I was there for that post.

That thread was the Bible for LR4 mods at the time.

He was correct. I'm on 33.3 KO2s now going incrementally from 19" Zeons, to 265/65/18, to 265/75/18 to 275/70/18.

As I mentioned earlier, I broke out the angle grinder for the most recent set. The rubbing was actually pretty minimal on my sliders, but I want the clearance to run snow chains if needed.

There is another good thread on Expo of a guy doing part of the Rubicon in his LR3.

Anybody want to meet in Truckee next summer?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635