Spacers. Yes or No? If yes, then how?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lulz. I don't know about legend

I was just one of the early guys who was willing to start cutting on a 70ishK SUV.

The wisdom of that is certainly debatable.

8 years in though, and it is still my favorite vehicle I have ever owned, and it still keeps me entertained

Working on a sleeping platform now.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lulz. I don't know about legend

I was just one of the early guys who was willing to start cutting on a 70ishK SUV.

The wisdom of that is certainly debatable.

8 years in though, and it is still my favorite vehicle I have ever owned, and it still keeps me entertained

Working on a sleeping platform now.

Those of us coming along six years later are thankful for you do-do birds that cut their $70K trucks, because for us, now they're $20-$30K trucks and you've learned and shared all the lessons. Seriously, thank you.

Calipers were ground, and got the Cooper ST MAXX LT265/60R18s fitted and the full size spare pulled up into the spare wheel well fully inflated.

Oh and to the OP, not sure if I posted it but I too used the BORA hub-centric spacers from Motorsport Tech.

Theoretically I'm not a fan of spacers for the standard reason being that you're moving the leverage further out on the wheel bearings, but based on the Overland Journal build and so many others who seem to have been able to pull it off, I'm kind of relying on the tribal knowledge here to go for it. Your risk tolerance may be different and if so, then going with something 100% reliable like staying on your 19s (that we've all discussed of course) or doing something like the Compomotives that go on without requiring either spacers OR grinding of the brake calipers.

If I were to do it again...I'd probably seriously consider the Compos but at this point, I'm committed to the LR3 18" + spacer + grind and it's all done.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few Jeep Wranglers with long-travel coilovers that use wheel spacers to clear the new suspension parts, and they all seem fine running 40" tires on long highway trips and on offroad obstacles that I don't believe an LR4 will ever see.

The only real risk can be mitigated by checking the nuts on the wheel spacers every now and again.

ArmyRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bora 1.25" spacers from Motorsporttech.

45K miles. No issues.

I'm actually thinking of running these with the Compomotives for a test fit of a true 35x12.5. My understanding is that is essentially what L8 did with the LR4 they have running that size. I took the angle grinder to my sliders last week to create additional room as well.

At that point I would be begging to re-gear the thing as well, though.

Exactly what the guys at Lucky8 did but I think the sliders cleared

Spacers definitely held up well. He had the front of that truck like 5 feet in the air over one obstacle

Last edited:

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to drop my stock 19"s and go to 18"s. I was told I have the option of buying expensive 18"s that got perfectly ok my LR4,or it so ing spacers to fit wheels from a different vehicle.

Apparently some people swear against them. Others have told me this is what they did and they had no problem.

What's your opinion and why?
If you say yes, then what is a brand of spacers and wheels that had gotten great results on LR4s?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

I came very, very close to running spacers plus LR3 wheels... But then I started doing the math. For the particular set of 5 LR3 wheels I wanted (refurb, 10 spoke with the grooves) , the best price including shipping was $1080. To get them powder coated black it was $550. Bora spacers, $250... That's about $1880...aaand you still may need to shave a bit of caliper. For roughly a $150 more I purchased and shipped Compos with an ET33 offset. And they're new. When buying refurbished wheels from eBay you never really know how many miles are on them or how the person drove. Not saying it's a bad option but the compos made more sense for me.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came very, very close to running spacers plus LR3 wheels... But then I started doing the math. For the particular set of 5 LR3 wheels I wanted (refurb, 10 spoke with the grooves) , the best price including shipping was $1080. To get them powder coated black it was $550. Bora spacers, $250... That's about $1880...aaand you still may need to shave a bit of caliper. For roughly a $150 more I purchased and shipped Compos with an ET33 offset. And they're new. When buying refurbished wheels from eBay you never really know how many miles are on them or how the person drove. Not saying it's a bad option but the compos made more sense for me.

Craigslist is your friend. I think I paid 400.00 for 5. Just have to keep looking.

Oddboy

Reaction score
So let me see if I understand this:

The LR4 uses bigger brakes (brembo) which is why they increased the stock rim to 19's. It's possible to drop to 18's (and therefore, a bigger tire...or at least more sidewall) if either the rim has the correct offset or you use spacers to clear the brakes/suspension yourself. Right?

I've heard a lot of talk around Compomotive (I'm assuming the PD1881) and TuffAnt - with the latter having 18' rim and an offset of ET44. TuffAnt claims a 265/65/18 will require you to deflate the spare though - does that mean 265/60/18 is the max size able to fit in the spare compartment on the LR4?

I'm looking to maximize my LR4 without needing to grind or cut, and basically switch out road tires with my offroad tires/rims.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Craigslist is your friend. I think I paid 400.00 for 5. Just have to keep looking.

That's a great deal! While looking I never found any for local pickup much less 5 for that price. I've found some sets out there under $800 and that included shipping but it wasn't the style of LR3 wheel which I wanted. I figured if I was going to go that route I wanted it to be the 10 spoke with the grooves or the hard to find 10 spoke "pitch fork" (LR048088) --- In all reality I deep down just wanted an excuse to pony up for the compos...and that's what I ended up doing and am happy I did.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let me see if I understand this:

The LR4 uses bigger brakes (brembo) which is why they increased the stock rim to 19's. It's possible to drop to 18's (and therefore, a bigger tire...or at least more sidewall) if either the rim has the correct offset or you use spacers to clear the brakes/suspension yourself. Right?

I've heard a lot of talk around Compomotive (I'm assuming the PD1881) and TuffAnt - with the latter having 18' rim and an offset of ET44. TuffAnt claims a 265/65/18 will require you to deflate the spare though - does that mean 265/60/18 is the max size able to fit in the spare compartment on the LR4?

I'm looking to maximize my LR4 without needing to grind or cut, and basically switch out road tires with my offroad tires/rims.

They are bigger brakes, but they aren't necessarily Brembo.

It's not an offset issue. It's how the wheel is designed and where the material is.

The big factor you should consider in tire size is, if you have a major failure and the suspension collapses to the bump stops, how big a tire can you run and still be able to move?

The answer to that is 265/65. Might be some minor rubbing in normal driving, and you have to deflate the spare to get it to fit under the rear. But, if you go off-road, you should be carrying an air compressor or air tank anyway.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are bigger brakes, but they aren't necessarily Brembo.

It's not an offset issue. It's how the wheel is designed and where the material is.

The big factor you should consider in tire size is, if you have a major failure and the suspension collapses to the bump stops, how big a tire can you run and still be able to move?

The answer to that is 265/65. Might be some minor rubbing in normal driving, and you have to deflate the spare to get it to fit under the rear. But, if you go off-road, you should be carrying an air compressor or air tank anyway.
What's a really good sir compressor that people recommend often?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635