Spark Plug Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am coming up on 90K miles (100 miles to go!), so its time to figure out the spark plugs. I believe the recommended service time is 90K.

I will go with the stock plugs. Not sure where I'll get them yet, but I can do some searching on that.

I have 3 questions on this:

How difficult is it to get the coil packs closest to the firewall out? It looks like there is not much clearance.

Any special tools to remove the plugs from the coil packs?

If you've done this before, did you replace the seals on the coil packs?

Thanks!

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced the plugs. Not hard but make sure you have a selections of extensions and a universal joint. On the left side you need to remove the heat shield and on the right you might need to remove a crankcase breather valve. It's all pretty straight forward. Make sure your your plug socket has a good rubber gasket that will hold the plug in place.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also done this. making sure you have the right extensions is huge. also they they arent going to come apart because your plug socket is more grippy than your extension link. Other than that be patient with the confined spaces, but it is very straightforward. I only replaced the plugs.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the coil packs, once unbolted, will pull right off. Make sure you don't loose any grommets or anything that's on them.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess I'm confused. I have the technical manual... It indicates that the coil packs will pull out as CMG suggests. Then I am assuming the plugs just pull out of the coil packs? Or are they threaded in? Either way, it becomes a bench job to get them out, in which case extensions etc don't come into play... what am I missing?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You pull the coil packs off of the spark plug while it's still in the block, then you take the spark plug out of the block.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completed this a few weeks ago at 62k miles. It is easy as long as you have a BIG selection of extensions, and u-joints. This can't be underestimated. To be able to pull the plug out, you need the right length, which varies by which cylinder you are on and the surrounding impediments. Also, each connection, if you have to use multiple connections is an area where you may disconnect rather than pulling the plug holder sockect off the plug.

Again, easy if you have a good selection of extensions, and they are good quality.

Note - If I had to do it again, I would change my plugs at no more than 50k miles. Mine were ok, but at 62k miles, I can't see how they would be just as effective at 90k. (2005 HSE V8)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99