Squeek and rattle tailgate getting old!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the simple fix for a squeeky, rattling tailgate? I'm ready to drive with the tailgate open if that'll shut it up! I'd turn the radio up if the speakers didn't rattle too!

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be many reasons , possible tailgate seal not lubes , if you have lamp guards they could be rubbing on the tailgate itself. kinda hard to tell when we can hear the noise

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have light guards. This sounds like the upper tailgate is moving against the lower creating the noise?

could be many reasons , possible tailgate seal not lubes , if you have lamp guards they could be rubbing on the tailgate itself. kinda hard to tell when we can hear the noise

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have struggled with a noisy tailgate / boot area for years. Drives me nuts. I have pinpointed the majority of my rattles coming from the cable release mechanism inside the lower tailgate. At some point I may try to put a new unit in. I have taken apart the lower and upper tailgate trims and each time found multiple plastic clips broken. When I've replaced them its helped. I also used a silicone spray lube on all of the upper and lower tailgate seals. This has helped as well. The noise used to drive me insane. I've gotten used to it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Annoying squeaks and rattles from the rear hatch gets old fast. I used to have an old GMC Jimmy that did the same thing, but my LR3 has been solid. Must vary car to car....then again, they did have to replace my rear latch a couple times, so that area hasn't been without fault for me...but it's quiet. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112