Steering Knock or Free Play sensation on 08 model D3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonyb

Reaction score
Hello all
I have read all the posts about the slight steering knock and slight free play sensation on the steering whilst driving slowly. I have an 08 model disco 3 and my vehicle has this knock or free play sensation. I have been to the dealer in Perth twice and they maintain that they can't feel the knock. I know it is there and whilst I love my disco, I HATE this free play feeling/knock. I have noted all the TSB's (also#21102) but my dealer says that my VIN does not fall under any of these TSB's. There is only one dealer in Perth.

Any suggestions, and does anybody know if this knock/freeplay in the steering has happened in later models like my 2008 SE.
Any advice or comments appreciated.

Regards
:mad: Tony

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a boot in the steering column that sometimes needs to be adjusted or replaced, and can cause the sensation you're referring to. It can also be attributed to dampers sometime, although on a newer model, I wouldn't expect that to be an issue. Have you taken the Dealer Tech with you on a ride to show them when you experience the issue?

tonyb

Reaction score
They have checked the issue out on both the first and second services. Result was no fault found. I have also taken the service manager out on a test drive. He maintains that he can not feel it. I can feel it almost every time I drive it. It only happens when turning and at low speeds. Happens when reversing out of my driveway and about three times on the same route to work. I am at witts end with this issue.
thank you for your reply BTW.

Tony
:confused:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I went through the same issue with my dealer. In order to convince them it was clunking I set out on a test drive near the dealership prior to arriving for service. I found some bumps in the road and some cracks where I could recreate the clunk. I then took the mechanic on my route with him at the helm and he finally said "it feels like a clunk". They replaced steering rack and it solved the clunk through the steering wheel. Now they're putting in the new uprated ball joints. Both of those can be clunk culprits. Good luck.

TNRover

Reaction score
Had the same issue turning into say a driveway at low speed. Dealer replaced both front ball joints (said they were very worn) and it was still there. Replaced bushings and it is gone. All under warranty. 2006 with 46K miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM