Steering Wheel Buttons Acting Strange...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The buttons on the right side of my steering wheel (Mode, Volume Control, Track selection) have had a mind of their own the past couple weeks.

I notice it because I use the volume controls regularly, and sometimes when I hit one of the buttons instead of keying my volume it changes radio source (AUX to FM to AM etc.), or activates the voice recognition prompt.

The behavior will last until I turn the car on/off and then sometimes it stays and sometimes it acts normally.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before. ?

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been my experience that electrical gremlins precede battery failure.
How old is your battery?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toddjb, that has happened to me in the past as well. ....then it stopped doing that just as suddenly and inexplicably as it began.

I don't think this one can be chalked up to a bad battery.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Actually, I think both of your replies are applicable!

My battery is on the fritz! It isn't old, but I've been having slow starts every once in a while and the resting battery voltage is low. Taking it in tomorrow.

Or it's gremlins...like Houm had.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that once in a blue moon. It corrects itself after a few presses though.

Trynian

Reaction score
This is also one of the first signs of the rotary coupler going out. Also known as the clock spring.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second on the clock spring. I had the same issues, some buttons would occasionally not work and sometimes the note pad would come on all by itself. Eventually the air bag light would come on as soon as the wheel was turned after start up.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the clock spring? Any chance that is a relatively cheap fix? (I'm at 143K)

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the clock spring? Any chance that is a relatively cheap fix? (I'm at 143K)

It is what allows electricity to go from a stationary object to a moving one. (Steering column to the buttons that rotate without binding or pinching wires

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM