Upgrade Steering Wheel to L494/L405?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baxterdown

Reaction score
Hi everyone, has anyone done or heard of upgrading the LR4/D4 steering wheel to the L494/L405? I have an L405; the airbag and steering wheel control connectors look similar to the LR4's.

Jose

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One big issue will be physically mounting it. Splines on the hub are different.

Baxterdown

Reaction score
Thank you @hickersb!!! That explains it perfectly. I love those guys at PowerfulUK, they've got a video for nearly everything :)

iSheeZ

Reaction score
It's possible and I know some people do that but unfortunately not plug n play.
You can cut mounting for LR4 steering column and it will fit but programmatically it is different and buttons don't work with LR4 - need special CAN adapter and I know only one place where you can get it - Russia but now it looks impossible.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 14.45.05.png

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 14.48.55.png Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 14.42.40.png

Last edited:

Baxterdown

Reaction score
OMG! That looks amazing!!! I see they also did a TFT screen on the LR4. I did the digital controls on my 2017 L405 and indeed you need an adapter (which at $500 wasn't cheap). I would be happy with the pre refresh controls (like on the RRS photo).

Do you have a contact? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Jose

iSheeZ

Reaction score
Actually, this is not RRS it's LR4 with dashboard from RRS – look on door :) And one more crazy fact – LR4 with black interior on photo actually is LR3 with LR4 interior and lots of CAN adapters)))

Also installation TFT into LR4 not so hard, you need l322 (only this) TFT instrument cluster, Dremel and JLR Mongoose cable with SDD software (no need adapters) but be careful with flashing your car, you should know what to do. I know one guy in NY who can install TFT if you interest.
FYI - you will lost TPMS data (displaying tyre pressure on 15MY), callsign phone info and audio source indication (AUX, FM, Bluetooth etc) in instrument cluster.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible and I know some people do that but unfortunately not plug n play.
You can cut mounting for LR4 steering column and it will fit but programmatically it is different and buttons don't work with LR4 - need special CAN adapter and I know only one place where you can get it - Russia but now it looks impossible.

View attachment 23393

View attachment 23395 View attachment 23394

OK, that's pretty impressive! Is that just a slide-in piece or did they have to weld ?

iSheeZ

Reaction score
OK, that's pretty impressive! Is that just a slide-in piece or did they have to weld ?
You need to cut a little bit and drill a bigger hole, then you need to make inner teeth... you can use old (not from your LR :) steering column shaft and hammer or CNC.

btw - one more important thing! LR4 airbag has 2 connectors, but L494/L405 only one. And remember - buttons will not work.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to cut a little bit and drill a bigger hole, then you need to make inner teeth... you can use old (not from your LR :) steering column shaft and hammer or CNC.

btw - one more important thing! LR4 airbag has 2 connectors, but L494/L405 only one. And remember - buttons will not work.

Early L494 has 2 connectors. But I doubt I'd risk swapping airbags between models -- I assume they're calibrated for a specific inflation time for each particular car, based on crumple zones, etc.
L494 airbag.jpg

I imagine buttons could be solved by using the earlier non-touch switches and physically connecting the contacts of the switch to the LR4 boards.

I honestly find the steering wheel (actually, the cheap plastic airbag cover) the biggest annoyance in the LR4 -- but this would probably end up being a very expensive, time-consuming project.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72