Steering wheel gone wild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al day for the past couple of days most of my steering wheel switches and buttons were completely messed up. Voice recognition button would not work at all, the phone hang up button would dial out when pressed, the phone answer/dial button would turn volume down, the volume up button would change sound system inputs, and so on. The only buttons that seemed to work reliably were the cruise control ones on the bottom left and the OK / arrows cluster on the upper right of the steering wheel. Had to use the touchscreen to answer and dial out. Weird - and annoying. I decided to try a full battery reset later on today to see if that would somehow fix it.

This morning I went to run some errands and, lo and behold, everything appears to be back to normal, all buttons are working as intended. So I have scrapped my full reset plans for now.

Perhaps the recent rain we got here spooked the infotainment system, some water got into something and caused the system to go berserk (wife and I went to Vegas for a long Thanksgiving getaway and we got a major soak on the way back home earlier this week.)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has ever experienced anything similar. I am hoping the problem fixed itself, but I'll keep you posted if the gremlins come back.

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few times during last 18 months , especially during hot Arizona summer my steering wheel switches for radio channels, volume did not work or were working on and off for a day or half. Nothing like your crazy steering wheel. Of course the dealer could not find anything. Like I said it happened few times when it was really hot and went away by itself.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking its electronics or just the clock spring?

If you can get it into that state again, you should try doing a couple tight turns in a parking lot and just see if its a connection.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking it's electronic, because the "function" of the same button (while they were malfunctioning) would change on its own, e.g. the volume "up" would control the radio inputs one minute, hang up the phone another, and stop working a minute later. I have driven the car some more this afternoon and everything seems back to normal, knock on wood.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few times during last 18 months , especially during hot Arizona summer my steering wheel switches for radio channels, volume did not work or were working on and off for a day or half. Nothing like your crazy steering wheel. Of course the dealer could not find anything. Like I said it happened few times when it was really hot and went away by itself.

Just FYI, I am in Qatar and the summer regularly sees temps hitting 120F. I have never experienced the steering wheel button issues.

Just some extra info for you that it shouldn't be temp related.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a wild shot in the dark, Umberto, but did you happen to have your LR4 in for that TPMS recall fix? I seem to remember part of it being software and some reference to the power distribution unit.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping the problem fixed itself, but I'll keep you posted if the gremlins come back.

Any chance your LR needs a house call from this lady? (gremlins, poltergeists...same difference)

159141227_34fc9b96e8.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a wild shot in the dark, Umberto, but did you happen to have your LR4 in for that TPMS recall fix? I seem to remember part of it being software and some reference to the power distribution unit.

Nope, I wasn't affected by that recall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99