Sunroof INSTALL???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roughtx

Reaction score
There is a local guy who is an expert at installing sunroofs. Could I have him put a genuine sunroof in? Are there any real problems that might occur if I choose to do so?

Thanks in advance.

D

discomike

Most likely you can't install a factory roof, I doubt if all the proper braces were installed at the factory to handle it, but you should be able to get a good quality roof installed and done for less than what a dealer would charge if the parts were available.
So call around, you should be able to find a few shops that install sun roofs.
Good luck
Mike J.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike...If you opt to install a sun-roof, O.E.M. is out of the question.unless you ask Landrover and they say you can, for about $3,000.00 each? However, a properly installed hi-tech roof migh be your answer if owning a "stock" vehicle is not your goal. A power aftermarket sunroof might set you back $650.00 to $1,000.00 or more, whereas a manual unit (that is a QUALITY unit), will let the light in your rig, and add a touch of your own personality, for a much more reasonable amount. Are you going to keep your L.R.? if so, do what pleases YOU. You are the guy who will live with the choice. You could be really different, and install one of those humongus ones...and let the sky be your guide! Let us all know what you decide,...you might start a trend!

Roughtx

Reaction score
How are the after market sunroof's any different than factory sunroof's? Wouldn't they be about the same as far as an install? If it is just cost, I might go with factory. If there is something else wrong with installing factory sunroofs, than I probably would not do any sunroof. What do you guys think?

D

discomike

Trends

Joseph,
I agree with what you are saying, everything about my truck is unique.
I have built my truck to be tough and go where I have the balls to take it.
Check out the picture in the photo gallery and you'll see what I am saying.
Having written service on Rovers I am aware of the weakenss that has been built into the factory unit and I woul only add a roof if it were designed properly and could be installed without weakening the integrity of the roof frame.
John, look into what is available and see if it can be installed on to your truck with causing a weak point in the roof.
Good luck,
Mike

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree totally Mike. And John, don't sacrifice strength for an ad-on that might weaken your ride. Ask the LR guys if your roof, (without existing sunroofs), is structurally sound for an installation. They might surprise you! Also, check online wrecking yards for your salvaged sunroofs, you might get LUCKY! If a roof is what you want, by all means do your best to get the best! Good luck John, let us know what happens!....

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi roughtx

I'm planning on putting in an aftermarket sunroof in my Disco, after I get it mechanically sound. I've had sunroofs put in two previous vehicles, toyota trucks, and never had a problem. No leaking or anything. DO get it professionally installed, don't try to do it yourself. Should run you about $400, and IMHO worth every penny. I like the ones you can completely pop out....I blow bubbles out of it. If you are ever on the Big Island of Hawaii, stuck in traffic, and see bubbles go by, I'm there. Much better than road rage.

Summer

L

LandyLight

Hey guys i gots myself a 95 D1 without the roofs in it and i picked up an original Land Rover manual sunroof of of ebay for about $80 see pics below. I found a professional installer to come to my house to install it for @$200 Sweet. Mike seeing that all rovers have the ability to accept up to two roofs why would they not having "bracing" in place coming directly from factory. This would slow things down in the production end of vehicles. Example you may not have power or heated seats but the wiring and plugs are there just not connected. I dont see why installing a roof would decrease the integrity of the strength of the rooof??????

Attachments

• 0005647_1.jpg
    0005647_1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 0005647_2.jpg
    0005647_2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 0005647_3.jpg
    0005647_3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree....cutting out a hole in the roof should do little to the soundness of the vehicle (if done in the right locations), not to complain about factory, but if I had the choice I would probably go with aftermarket myself, the factory ones that I have rattle over every single bump in the road, plus they are tiny. My dad has the optional 3ft.X6ft. open top on his ML430, that is what a sunroof should be, too bad it is on a mercedes, and not on a jeep, rover, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72