sunroof rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad:I have a 2005 lr3 I started to hear a rattling coming from the sunroof of the vehicle inside, its driving me insane does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Thanks

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad:I have a 2005 lr3 I started to hear a rattling coming from the sunroof of the vehicle inside, its driving me insane does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Thanks

I think its out of adjustment. I had the sunroof cartridge replaced earlier this year under warrenty and every once and awhile since then I get a rattle. All I have to do is open it to the vent position and reclose and the rattle is gone. I have noticed that one side lifts slightly faster then the other side from the closed position so I think this is the cause.....The rattle is so infrequent that I just live with it as is on mine.......

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine Too

Definitely has something to do with the cold weather (its in the 20's in Nashville now). Mine rattles right above drivers side head... if I push up on it, it stops. Its not the sunroof shade either... ideas?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you have a loose clips inside? That is what I had at least

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rattles in the cold open close usually stops it..
Turn up radio.
Oh yeah the headliner rattles too I slipped two quarters up near the sunroof to shim it.
Pretty much solved that to.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, wadded up piece of paper, right front side. Haven't heard it since :)

drstan

Reaction score
I have an 06 and the sunroof rattled when cold only- I was told that there was a problem with the glass itself. The dealer told me it is a laminated glass and it separated and the glass would vibrate when it was cold. If f it was warm the glass would expand slightly and there was no rattle. They replaced it under warranty and no problems since

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. it started this winter and has continued on/off since and even in 70's weather. Very annoying, but haven't found anything that can be tightened so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's still rattling too

Much less now that its warm but its definitely consistent in cold weather. grr.

MikeWellsinVA

Reaction score
How to fix rattling snroof

I had this problem with my Kia Amanti and found a solution while looking through a Saab forum. It's dead easy to do and a cheap fix. Go to a NAPA auto parts store and buy a tube of Sil-Glyde, a silicone "grease" made by the AGS Company in Minnesota.. Next step: using a rubber or vinyl cleaning product, give the rubber seal around your sunroof a good cleaning. Opening the sunroof will help to get at the seal. Then, using a bit of Sil-Glyde on your finger, apply a thin film of the product to the rubber seal, or at least to as much of it that your can get access to. Use a clean cloth to clean up any excess. Close your sunroof and drive the car. Suddenly, it's quiet again!

I did this last fall, and it lasted through the winter. The sunroof is starting to rattle a bit now, so another application is in order. I was skeptical when I read this suggested solution on that Saab forum, but was quite happy to find out that it really works!

Product description from company website: "SIL-GLYDE Lubricating Compound is a non-petroleum grease formulated with synthetic and natural oils, combined with an inorganic gelling agent and additives. As formulated, the product has a wide operating temperature range, high film strength and good compatibility with elastomers . . . SIL-GLYDE Lubricating Compound is designed for safe and effective lubrication of rubber, metal, wood, and glass."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99