sunroof rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeWellsinVA

Reaction score
Other lyde mayuses

Oh, Sil-Glyde is also recommended for door weatherstripping on cars, if your door seal is leaking a bit and letting in water or air causing a "whistle", using the Sil-Glyde may help get a better seal and reduce those issues.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a sunroof/headliner rattling bad as well. If I just barely push up on the headliner above the driver's head, it goes away. Someone mentioned to me it may be a headliner clip, and that I should pull off the middle row light to get in there to fix that clip.

Anyone else tried this? Is this what I have going on? 2006 LR3 HSE

rbelz

Reaction score
Answer

I would bet that the problem is that the glass itself is not fitting tightly in the metal frame around it. I had a similar problem on my old 2006 LR3 and went through 6-7 painful trips to the dealer to diagnose it.

Several times, they could not hear it (LR dealers must only hire ex rock band guys, as this is an all too common reply from them in my opinion). Then, they heard it and made an "adjustment". Then they used "special grease". Then, I finally got them to replace the entire sunroof assembly as was sure it would fix it, but the damn thing started rattling on the way out of the dealership lot.

Finally, someone realized it must be the actual glass panel, as it was the only part they did not replace in that assembly. It fixed the problem. Of course, by this time my headliner was a mess of greasy finger print marks and the snap fittings that held it in place were worn out and would not stay put. I was tired of fooling with the dealer and this was preferable to that damn rattle. Good luck.

piranesi

Reaction score
Front row sunroof rattle has been driving me nuts too. It's crazy loud and more and more frequent -of course conveniently becoming nonexistant the moment I bring it in to the dealer. They claimed to do something to the headliner but the noise is coming from the sunroof assembly on the passenger side -that is as bright as day. I live in SoCal so the truck hasn't seen much cold weather. Have given up looking for a fix and am looking to have them replace the whole thing.

2005 LR3 V8 SE 44K

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rattles too. I hate creeks and rattles and I soon found out Land Rovers are genetically predisposed to rattles and creeks. But like Ryan in Oregon said earlier, I just open it up a little and close it again and that usually does the trick. Until a day or two later when it starts rattling again. One of the many endless battles against my LR3 ha.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since day 1 with my '05 when new, I've had a rattle from the sunroof area. Mentioned it at every maintenance interval and got the usual "cannot replicate". In my case though, closing and opening the glass or pushing on the headliner does not make it go away. If anyone has made any progress on what it could be, any pics or instructions to fix it would be really helpful, thanks.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally fixed my sunroof rattle.

A guy at an Indy shop heard it, and said he'd go ahead and pull the headliner down and look around for me (he used to work at a dealership, so said he could do it pretty easily).
He ended up finding a screw that had been stripped/not tightened (probably from some previous sunroof work at a dealership) and he put a washer in it and snugged it up. Apparently this screw is pretty difficult to reach, and he said a lot of times the dealership techs would not worry about putting this screw back in correctly after sunroof work.

All my attempts at jamming foam, etc, here and there up in the headliner wouldn't have solved the problem. I paid this tech some cash on the side - best money i've ever spent! ;) (and i seem to be spending a lot on the LR3 right now...) :(

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cailbre, after reading your post, that may be the same problem I have. Do you know what area of the headliner that screw is in?

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cailbre, after reading your post, that may be the same problem I have. Do you know what area of the headliner that screw is in?

Initially, I thought it was the connector to the headliner right above the drivers' right shoulder. I would push up just slightly, and the rattle would go away.

Turns out that wasn't what was rattling. The screw he tightened is only accessible with the headliner down, and even then it's tricky to get to - from what he told me. Sorry - that probably doesn't help much. But, the screw he tightened was not on the headliner, it was up in the sunroof assembly somewhere.

1,000 miles, and the rattle hasn't come back. It used to be really bad when cold, and go away when warm. Now, I haven't heard it at all. Thank goodness.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having the sunroof rails replaced the second time, I had the same annoying rattle. I eventually climbed in the rear seatm, and pulled out the rear a/c controls and with a flashlight did some looking around. The problem was that the motor mechanism was bouncing around and "tapping" the ceiling of the truck. You couldn't really see it, but the solution was to get some thick foam double stick tape and attach it to the top of the mechanism. It took using something thin and long to hold the tape and "fish" it back to the right place, but voila! the rattle is gone, and has not come back, despite several offroad trips. It really took me about 20 minutes all together, once I opened up the controls.

You don't have to remove the headliner to do it...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9