Sunroof stuck in tilt position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a pain..l. The sunroof is stuck in the tilt position. The fuse is ok, I tried holding the button in the forward position, I can hear a relay click above me, so power is getting up there, but the motor is not turning...

Is there any manual override? I have to drive 200 miles this week in the snow :(

Plastic bag and duct tape on standby!
Any help appreciated!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did you hold the forward button? Holding it forward for a full 30 seconds has worked for me. Actually, I think it was on an old RR, but I think it is the same for the LR3.
Hope it works.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks roverman, I could here the relay clicking so it was working, and this has worked for me in the past....

I did find out some interesting stuff. So in the interest of helping others that may search for this in the future..

1. My runners are cracked. This may be the root cause of my issue
2. There is a manual override. I will describe this below:

**Disclaimer - I am pretty sure this will f-up all timings and stuff for the motor so I regard this as an emergency procedure****

1. Pull down the headliner behind the sunroof - tug hard.
2. When you shine a light back there, in the middle you will see a black motor on the left connected to a device that looks like a gearbox.
3. In this gearbox looking thing, you will see a plastic cross in a metal housing.
4. Push the plastic cross up, to reveal what looks like a large phillips drew head pattern.
5. Get a rachet. I think I used a 1/4inch. Wedge it in there and rotate counter clockwise to close the sunroof.

Sorry I can't post any pictures, I just don't have the right things to hand.....

Hope this helps people in the future, I really struggled to find this info out there...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an re-calibration procedure similar to what was described above with holding the button but I'm not sure if it was exactly as roverman posted. What I do remember from having done it is that one is best off getting a stopwatch because the reset happens PRECISELY at the time purported, and holding down a switch for 30 seconds feels like an eternity.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks roverman, I could here the relay clicking so it was working, and this has worked for me in the past....

I did find out some interesting stuff. So in the interest of helping others that may search for this in the future..

1. My runners are cracked. This may be the root cause of my issue
Mine also. I think this is pretty common and may not be the cause unless they are seriously warped and impeding travel.

1. Pull down the headliner behind the sunroof - tug hard....
UGH! I hate any guideline that starts out like that. Does the headliner go back up pretty easily or were you left with evidence of your reset?

Hope it works out for you. Be curious to hear what happens if you are brave enough to open it again.

-todd

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Runners being cracked was/is a very common issue on early/current D3's. I have yet to hear any examples of them allowing the glass to fly off or effect electronics or movement. The manual has a reset procedure as others have noted. If that doesn't work the dealer is your best bet. Good luck.

Delray

Reaction score
I thought I would tag on to this thread (since it is recent).

My sunroof stuck in the open position and pressing the close button for 20 seconds did not work. Disconnected the battery and let it sit for a day. Reconnected, pressed for 20-30 seconds and still did nothing. I recalled on another thread somewhere where it had worked after pushing the middle light button while (or after) holding the close button down and voilà, the window went into calibration mode and is working fine now.

While the window was stuck open and I was driving over a bump, this rubber piece fell out. It is about 1.25" long. Can anyone identify this piece and where it goes?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140421_203650_800-1.jpg
    IMG_20140421_203650_800-1.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 45

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...noticed nothing like it on the exploded parts diagram. Does it look like it broke off of a larger part?

Delray

Reaction score
Thanks for looking that up Houm_WA. It does not appear to be broken off of anything as the ends are finished and there was no glue or residue that I could find. There is that hole that extends through the middle, so I suppose it could slip onto something. Also a lip. It looks like the the rubber moulding or insulation you might find around a window or a door but inspecting the sunroof glass I did not readily see a place it would go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99