Suspension Fault..Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domdom

Reaction score
2007 Land Rover LR3 SE 4x4 V8. 99k Miles.
'Suspension Fault' Warning on Dash.
It's my first post. Sometimes when I start the truck the warning flashes, sometimes not. When it does not flash and I do try to raise the suspension via the switch, the right side of the truck lifts a bit, then the warning flashes.

Is this the compressor? Sensor? :frown:

Thanks guys

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a few things. You really have to get the codes read before you can say for sure. It could be the compressor dying. It could be a leak somewhere and the compressor being unable to keep up with the losses. How long does the truck try to raise before the fault comes on?

Usually a sensor isn't so sudden...and usually a leak will still allow the truck to raise and the compressor may go for a few minutes before crapping out. So my guess is that it's just the compressor finally dying, but again, you need to get the fault codes read before you can be sure. (not at Autozone)

domdom

Reaction score
:argh: Thanks Houm_WA. I was just thinking of taking it to AutoZone before you said not to. I'll try to swing it either by the dealership or somewhere else. O'Reilly's maybe?

To answer your question though, the truck tries to raise for about 1-2 seconds before the fault comes on. Then when I turn it off, the fault usually disappears until I try to adjust the suspension again.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be the compressor. O'Reilly's is also a no. The problem is that their generic code readers will not give you enough information to go on. They can read the generic OBDII codes but not ones specific to something like the EAS.

Only the dealer can OR if you had an LR3-specific code reader like the IIDTool from GAP Diagnostics, can yo do this. I have one and it's awesome.

domdom

Reaction score
Okay, that's super helpfull. I'll make sure to get that read ASAP and post what they find. More to come.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend if you own a land rover to buy a gap tool like houm said, it will save you a literal Sh*t ton of money in the future, o'reileys and auto zone will probably be of no use to you as their code readers typically read from one computer, my LR3 has 12 according to GAP tool, and when I first got mine I took it to one of the box stores for a suspension fault, and they found no faults, turned out to be my compressor. Just spend the money and get a GAP tool or fault mate, you will be happy you did.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the GAP tool reprogram/recalibrate the suspension, as needed when switching from hitachi to AMK? If so is it difficult? I have a cheap icarsoft LRII. That resets oil service and read my suspension code (slow to fill reservoir) but I don't think it can reprogram. Interface is pretty basic on the icarsoft. Still trying to figure out my suspension issues. Have you guys heard of the the muffler and input air line filter being clogged/culprit? Thanks sorry I know this subject has been beaten to death just trying to get a handle on it and what my next move should be.

domdom

Reaction score
Will Do

I would highly recommend if you own a land rover to buy a gap tool like houm said, it will save you a literal Sh*t ton of money in the future, o'reileys and auto zone will probably be of no use to you as their code readers typically read from one computer, my LR3 has 12 according to GAP tool, and when I first got mine I took it to one of the box stores for a suspension fault, and they found no faults, turned out to be my compressor. Just spend the money and get a GAP tool or fault mate, you will be happy you did.

Thanks a ton for the input. I've been researching what ODBII readers to get and it looks like there isn't really a lower priced option for this. What do you think is the best one for the price?

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the icarsoft LRII. It will read land rover specific faults like suspension codes and can reset service lights $180. Can't reprogram suspension though. Not sure what level ($460 - $2300)of GAP tool you need for that. Up until now my tool has been fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90