sway bars, do i keep them or dump them

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'99 D2 with 47k:

Just got my baby back after a little runin with a ditch and I am about to start modding, ie larger tires, lift kit, etc. So the next question is what are the pros and cons of removing the (anti)sway bars, besides the obvious idea that the truck will lean more in turns. How big of a diiference do they make with the handleing? Does the truck get really sloppy without them? Thanks

D

discomike

I am wondering why you want to remove them? Some peopke do and with really heavy springs, some might consider it OK. Do you have a family, do others drive it, if so I wouldn't. There is too much chance of loosing control, I can send you this weeks picture of a friends Disco that rolled after hitting a small animal on the highway, rolled it 5 times.
So what suspension and tires are you looking at?
Mike J.
99 D2

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks mike, i just wanted to know if removing them was worth the loss of control, which now that i think about it, could be freakin dangerous...

suspension will be OME for sure, but havent decided on tires, most likely a cheaper MT tire. BFG may be out of my price range...actually that reminds me of another question, do I need to be looking at load ranges when shopping for tires, being that these trucks are so heavy?

thanks again mike

A

antichrist

Yes, you get more body lean without the sway bars. I took mine off front and rear about 3 or 4 years ago. I drive defensively (read keep an eye peeled for people who seem to be trying to intentionally **** me on the road) and have only have had to do an emergency maneuver a couple times since, here in Atlanta. It was fine, just a lot of lean.

Keep in mind I'm not a vehicle suspension expert, but I think the purpose of sway bars is to keep down body lean by not letting the distance between the frame and wheel become to great. If that's true, when the body leans too far, a wheel is going to loose contact with the road, which I think would be worse than having all 4 on the road.

I suspect that people who get into trouble without sway bars have sensed the greater body lean, freak out thinking they are going to roll, and overcorrect, creating a slingshot effect that causes a rollover. A Land Rover with the heavy seperate ladder frame, solid axles and aluminum body will lean at an incredible angle before it rolls.

I am in no way suggesting that you should remove them, it may even be illegal to where you live, but just relating my personal experience (based on how *I* drive) and my thoughts on the implications.

Tom Rowe
Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in
places even more inaccessible.

D

discomike

OME's are great, I run their 751's in front to go along with the SLS on my rear suspension. I run the 265 BFG Mts and love them, Goodyears MTR are quite good and so are the Super Swampers. Try to stay with a heavier sidewall and go have fun.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No complaints here without swaybars. Granted, thats with RTE and 7100's.

DiscoFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for my ignorance here, but what is RTE and 7100's?

thanks

A

antichrist

discofever said:
sorry for my ignorance here, but what is RTE and 7100's?

thanks

Which 7100's specifically are you running? My OME's have about 90k on them and I'm looking for something to replace them with that has more travel (working my way up to a drop kit)

Tom Rowe
Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in
places even more inaccessible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635